PCT v. EMT in Chicagoland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrt438

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with a BS in Human Bio and am interested in medical school but am taking a year off to get more experience and solidify my interest in Medicine. I got my EMT certification and applied to a barrage of jobs. I got an offer from Rush University to be a Patient Care Technician (basically a C.N.A) on the orthopedic floor. The job actually pays well ($12.21) and the dept is very impressive. I am very tempted to take the job, but have gathered from other threads that I would be crazy to take C.N.A. over EMT especially after I have gone through EMT training. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Rush Human resources wants a reply today!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the job at Rush. You'll never get $12+ an hour as a basic EMT. You can always work per diem or volunteer on the side at an ambulance service if you really want to work EMS.

Rush would be a good experience, but if you're planning on living in Chicago, $12/hr is barely going to cover the rent.

If you live with your parents, cool, otherwise you might want to check out some of the suburban hospitals in more affordable highly-populated areas that have good patient exposure. Aurora (Provena-Mercy, Rush-Copley) Geneva (Delnor - if you don't live in Geneva it's cheaper!), Naperville (Edwards).

Those are some in the far western 'burbs I can think of, but there are tons all over and you can find them with a search.

Just a little advice - take it or leave it, but I think you're on the right track. BTW - you'll get $12/hr or maybe more in the 'burbs too. I have Ochem II with a few EMTs in the area that make more than that.