PD Said this...nail in the coffin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residencyhopeful16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Think of it like this:

Whether you think it's a bad sign that they don't want you, or of them wishing you well in general, your outcome will be the same. You may as well assume the latter.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh my God. Go have a beer or five. Wishing someone luck with the rest of the process is basic courtesy and a very common way to end an interaction with an applicant.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my God. Go have a beer or five. Wishing someone luck with the rest of the process is basic courtesy and a very common way to end an interaction with an applicant.

I understand where the OP is coming from since its a highly stressful year and I guess it makes us x 10000000 paranoid. Esp. if you are not the top-caliber applicant like me (in terms of USMLE scores) then yeah I feel your nervousness and anxt. I posted a question earlier where I didn't meet the PD at all so that was odd to me (and was interviewed by a nurse and administrative staff) so I thought that was a legit question but this is something unfortuatnely we have no control over. Sure this could have been some sort of Freudian slip/unconscious/id-ego/psychoanalyst statement but really who knows....probably need some non-verbal/verbal speech expert to decode everything.

Do well on the rest of your interviews, learn from the past and put it behind you. I know that is much easier said then done but that's all the advice I have..good luck

Last edited:
I understand where the OP is coming from since its a highly stressful year and I guess it makes us x 10000000 paranoid.

I posted a question earlier where I didn't meet the PD at all so that was odd to me (and was interviewed by a nurse and administrative staff) so I thought that was a legit question but this is something unfortuatnely we have no control after.

Sure this could have been some sort of Freudian slip/unconscious/id-ego/psychoanalyst statement but really who knows....probably need some non-verbal/verbal speech expert to decode everything.

I read your thread, but didn't post because it was answered pretty well. That is a huge red flag. I can't imagine a situation where a PD wouldn't meet or speak to prospective residents- except one in which the residents are considered nothing but bodies to get work done.

This particular situation is far more benign. It's like freaking out if someone tells you "Have a good day!" Would you think, "Why would they say that??!!! If they wanted to be the highlight of my day, why would they hope that the rest of the day goes well????? Why didn't they tell me that they hoped the rest of my day was terrible??? Why didn't they tell me that the rest of their day would be terrible compared to spending time with me????"

Do you see how nuts that sounds?? I know the road to matching is stressful, but there are plenty of more stressful situations in store after matching. There is no need to try so hard to find things, like common expressions in normal conversation, to freak out about.

Reactions: 2 users
My friends/colleagues in the match are driving me crazy.

Friend: "I asked attending to call a program on my behalf, he hasn't responded yet, what do I do?!"

Me: Well what time did you send the email?

Friend:"5 minutes ago"

Me:What time is it now?

Friend: "7 pm on a Friday night"

Me:...you're gonna have a long night....