PD To Contact First-Choice Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All:

I was wondering what your thoughts are on having the PD of the IM program at my school contact the PD of the IM program at my top choice to put in a good word for me. I've seen some students allude to this in other forums; however, I was not sure if this is a commonly accepted practice. Fortunately, I know the PD of IM at my school quite well and think I could make this request; but, I want to be very careful because the IM program at my school is my second choice. Would it be better to have some other high-ranking IM faculty member at my school contact the PD of IM at my top choice instead? Any thoughts would be very, very helpful. Is this a fair practice, especially for the other applicants from my school?

I know I am running out of time since PD's will be making their rank lists at the end of this month or early February so please respond as soon as possible. Your two cents would be much appreciated.

Let me also add that to ask the PD of the program at my school to do this seems reasonable. I have worked really hard during medical school, served the Internal Medicine Interest Group quite hard, and feel I would be a perfect fit at my top choice.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that the supportive call is a common practice. At my school, we were told by attendings of many different specialties (including IM, surgery, anesthesia) that they would make ONE call on our behalf. The understanding is that if the call is made and you don't rank that program #1, it may come back to bite you or future students at your school in the a$$.

Whether the PD or another attending should call is up to you. If another attending has a close relationship with the PD at your #1 program, that might be a better option. Assuming that the PD at your school is not vindictive (and most aren't), having your PD call shouldn't hurt your chances of matching at your home program.

Would it be *overkill* to have the PD of the IM program at my school and another prominent IM faculty member each contact the PD of my first-choice program? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I feel I am pretty fortunate to have developed a fairly close relationship with multiple IM faculty at my school, including the IM PD. But, I feel like I may be treading in dangerous waters here.

Thanks again, especially to rugtrousers for the good advice.

I would say that yes that would be overkill :) I think one member of your faculty calling is plenty and will get the message across just as well. I would just ask the person you feel more comfortable with or the one who knows the program you are applying to better. Best of luck!! :luck: