1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

pda and cell phone

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by drboris, Apr 29, 2004.

1. drboris

drboris Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My original thread did not work for some reason.

I have never had a pda before and want to buy one for my first year.
    Do you guys prefer sony clie or palm (tungsten or zire 31/71)? Am I going to need a new one for third year rotations, or will this one not yet be obsolete?

Also, do any of you have a combined cell phone/pda? Do you like it, is it as good as having both items separately?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

My friend has the clie, he's graduating from med schl and loves it. I'm gettin the tungsten c cause its fast and has wireless capability, meaning I can use it at many places that have wireless access, for example while studying at starbucks.
    Technology changes fast but unless ur a gadget lover like me :D , u should be ok for a couple of yrs

My best friend has a pda/cell verizon kyocera 7series and loves it, he has had it for a yr, and carries it everywhere, less hassle, just one thing to deal with, plus he can talk (using speaker/handset) and write in it at same time. He swears by it, is in dental schl, and has epocrates on it, and can do all other things regular palms can.

4. Jaded Soul

Jaded Soul Proloxil > Zoloft
    7+ Year Member

I don't think PDAs are useful for a pre-clinical student. I've had a PDA since college and didn't use it at all for the first 2 years, despite having spiffy clinical programs like 5-Minute Clincal Consult. I never used it because I never needed to look up anything urgently.

During clinical years, being able to retrieve info on the fly becomes invaluble. It's a lot easier for me to carry around my PDA than a couple of pocket books when I'm on the wards or in the clinic.

So, I'd hold off on buying now since you really don't need it. Besides, technology will advance and you'll be able to get a much better device in a couple of years for the same price as you're willing to spend now. Also, I think the PDA/cell phone combos available right now are horrible. The ones I've seen are either too bulky or have tiny screens. Can't have it both ways yet.

5. lf777

Partner Organization 5+ Year Member

I'd get the Tungsten (whatever your budget allows). As far as combined phone/PDAs, PDAs become obsolete a lot faster, and upgrading a combined device costs a lot more. For now I think it's best to stick to a PDA (unless you have extra money to spend).

lf

6. mackaikai

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Treo 600 hybrid phone.