Madhatter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Do you guys think that it's helpful to have a PDA in med school, or is it just a waste of money???

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
i like it.
but my school has a requirement to enter the patients we see, inpt and outpt so it is a necessity

i bought the tungsten t3

monstermatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
If you use it now, you'll use it during school. If you never use an organizer, your PDA will gather dust. A lot of places expect you to have one tho - and they can be handy, especially when looking up drugs (epocrates). I'd wait until 3rd year unless you're already tech-savvy/tech-junkie.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
UIowa <- UNM <- MSU <- SoCal
www.msu.edu
Status
Attending Physician
monstermatch said:
If you use it now, you'll use it during school. If you never use an organizer, your PDA will gather dust. A lot of places expect you to have one tho - and they can be handy, especially when looking up drugs (epocrates). I'd wait until 3rd year unless you're already tech-savvy/tech-junkie.
I use my organizer constantly, it basically has my entire life in it (schedule, addresses, passwords, novels, medical texts...everything!), so I'll be using it now and forever!

If you think you'll use it, give it a try, but don't spend an inordinate amount until you're sure. There are some low-end PalmOne organizers for <$100 (I don't know any PocketPC for that little offhand), grey-scale screen and little memory, but it will give you a feel for it.

I purchased one just before entering college, but didn't start to use it until a year ago. Then I found out how much you can do with it, and now it's my best friend!