PDA for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The laptop thread reminded me about this.

I'm thinking about getting a PDA. Don't really want to spend much.

I know some schools use them and/or you need them for the rotations because their teaching hospital is on a PDA system.

How useful would it be anyway? And what kind would people recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you'll need a PDA more when you start 3rd year - by then there will be better ones coming along. use the $$ on books and new stethoscopes

I already have a stethascope that I like...cause I'm an EMT.

Though...one of my EMT friends has this one with noise reduction and volume control and whatnot....

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a Dell Axim and I love having a PDA. I bought a drug guide, Tabers, and Harrison's internal maedicine for it and I use it all the time to look up diseases, drugs, what normal lab values are, etc... However, I would not buy a Dell pda, it has been OK but I am not impressed at all. It has several minor glitches all the time. I am a second year by the way, but we start clinicals in the first month of med school.

They are not that helpful for the first two years and many schools like mine require ones for third year. Wait until then as there may be specific requirements that you need for your school's program.

If you want toys, I would recommend paying extra to get a tablet PC.