PDA users: I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to which PDA I should get specifically for medical use. I will be a first year this fall, and I want to know what the best PDA is to get: functionality, value, battery life, memory capability, etc. Most importantly, I want to know how much memory I'm gonna need to run all the programs I'll need as a med student. For example, how much memory does it take for a MERCK guide, or a medical spanish dictionary, etc. Is 8MB, like a basic Palm 100, enough? Or do I need like 64MB with expansion to 128? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, where do you guys get the software? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe a Palm m505 would be sufficent for med school. 8MB with an expansion card is fine. I bought mine from dell. Here is a web site where u can find more info on a pda(pdamd.com)and for softwear to download go to (handheldmed.com). Personally I just bought one and im starting this year as well. So far i have a the merck, medical dictionary, and medical mnemonics. I think these programs would be fine for the first two years.

mike

I am currently using about 24MB on a palm platform - mostly medical books, and a few games and utilities. I think the Merck requires about 4MB. Epocrates is a free download from the website of the same name, and is essential - even during the pre-clinical years; requires about 2.5MB. Palm vs. PC is your personal preference. Palm seems best for simple book reading; PC has all of the extras.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might I offer in my humble opinion an alternative to consider.

While Palm and 3Com are notable giants in the PDA world, lets not forget that the founders of 3Com's Palm Line, and the Palm OS (Proprietary Instant-On Operating System for the Handheld), left 3Com and started a wonderful company called Handspring (Universal Remote Locator: handspring.com).

Also of notable mention that the aforementioned PDA Companies stocks jumped significantly today with the launch of a new product offering.

But you didn't hear that from me! =)
Whichever PDA you get, whether you love "Graffiti" or not, I reccomend a new-fangled foldaway keyboard as an essential accessory and peripheral for your working system.

Good Luck! =)~