PDs contacting you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seanmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any programs contacted you via mail, email, or phone? If so, which ones?

No one has contacted me. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I have received one handwritten thank you card from a PD from a program that had difficulty filling last year, and several e-mails from my interviewers prior to my initiating any post-interview contact. I received 2 post cards from a place which I interviewed thank yous at, and I also received a few generic e-mail responses from other interviewers that e-mailed. My number one choice has not given me any feedback though. :( I think that most post-interview contact is meaningless unless a PD is calling you on the phone telling you what a great candidate you are and sending you letters stating the same. It's great if you get them, but don't count on matching at a program just because you have received positive feedback (some send them to every applicant just to make sure that they fill), and don't be too discouraged if you don't hear anything back either (unless the program responds to other applicants but doesn't respond to you like my situation:rolleyes: )

I received a phone call at my house from the Associate PD at my top choice. He called to ask if I had any questions, and said that the committee had met to begin the ranking of applicants and that the committee had "a lot of good things to say about [me]" and that I was "a very strong applicant" to their program. He did not say I was "in" or how I would be ranked, but it was very encouraging news nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard any thing from any west coast pd's?

it seems that numerous east coast pd's have been e-mailing or calling folks to tell them that they're ranked to match.

just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the west side.

i personally haven't heard much.

I've recieved a phone call from one place that told me they were ranking me and wondered where I was going to rank them...

I got an email from the PD from my number one choice and it basically said that based on my file and my rank order placement, they hope to see me in their intern class next year. I think that's a good sign.

I agree with Kalel.,.you need to have something in your email/letter that indicates this is coming from the PD directly and is personalized (ie, not sent to a mass emailing list or coming from a secretary using a PD or interviewer's email address). i have received the UVA post-interview letter that other folks have received as posted on an earlier thread...i don't think thiat they wouldl send this to every single interviewee, but i could be wrong...that would just seem to be too onerous a task. however, i recently received an email letter from a PD from one of my Top 5 that was directly from him and was sentdirectly to me, so i am going to give it some weight but i think it may be too early yet. otherwise, i have not heard "directly" from any other places, and based on what my classmattes are saying, they hav ereceived little or no post-interview feedback (remind you most people are applying to midwestern programs).

so, seanmd, you're not alone
;)
-s.

Penn & Hopkins have sent very encouraging emails after ranking sessions.

Anyone receive that classic 'Mayo letter' from years past?

Kalel, Scarlet_fire, Sanfilippo, Scrubmonkey, CuriousDoc:

Can you please name names? I'm sure that's what SeanMD really wants to know and I would like to know too. I would really appreciate it.

Programs I have heard from (that were not responding to letters or thank yous from me) are:

Georgetown
Northwestern
St. Vincents

I also received a noncomittal, friendly note from UCSF.

Now, your turns!

Brigham and MGH have sent very encouraging e-mails/phone calls as well.

i got nothign from northwestern. they can kiss my :D

Originally posted by lewkowde
Kalel, Scarlet_fire, Sanfilippo, Scrubmonkey, CuriousDoc:

Can you please name names?

Sorry, I don't name names, however it is not among your list.

ditto as scarlet_fire; mine was from none of the 4 programs you mentioned. then again, i am not ucsf-caliber, either.

;)
-s.

Non-solicited post-interview contact:
U Rochester: sent nice hand-written post-card from PD
Bayview: "personal" e-mails from both interviewers
Maryland: Cut and paste e-mail from interviewer
Penn State: multiple generic e-mails from PD

Personal response after e-mail thank you:
Thomas Jefferson: post cards from both people that I e-mailed

Leo,
just a heads up ....St. Vincents replies to everyone. Don't read into their letter. If you want them make sure to rank Primary care as well as catagorical.

This week I have received two phone calls from Harvard hospitals saying that I was in contention for a spot if I so desired.

Also I got a weird phone call this morning (from a resident) from one of those hospitals that i did a rotation at asking if I received any other phone calls. I said I would rank them high and hope for the same courtesy. WEIRD like they keep tabs on each other