PE takeover of Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RADRULES

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends - I am curious about the current state of VC/PE takeover of Derm and trends for the future. We have seen some incursion of PE-backed “groups” into my field Rads. I have read some articles and it appears Derm is squarely in the targets of private equity. How big a trend is this in Derm and what does it mean for the future of the field. When I was in med school Derm was an extremely competitive match and very competitive. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends - I am curious about the current state of VC/PE takeover of Derm and trends for the future. We have seen some incursion of PE-backed “groups” into my field Rads. I have read some articles and it appears Derm is squarely in the targets of private equity. How big a trend is this in Derm and what does it mean for the future of the field. When I was in med school Derm was an extremely competitive match and very competitive. Thx

It's a big trend.

It is very bad for derm.

Derm is still very competitive but probably slightly less so.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s bad. That being said, it’s not as bad as some other fields (and likely won’t ever be) for a few reasons:
- barrier to start a private practice is not impossible. Even with headwinds you can hang a solo shingle.
- patients “belong” to you and form a long term relationship
- ability to do cash pay.

I firmly believe that PE is destroying American medicine as a whole. One day the country will wake up and realize they are literally robbing grandma’s corpse and a new system will rise.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No no, you have it all wrong. PE is benevolent. They simply want to enable you to be the best physician you can be by leveraging their considerable resources and provide you the autonomy you need. They will carefully and thoughtfully grow the practice and only purchase quality likeminded practices and then package them together and sell to another bigger and even more benevolent buyer with even more resources. Your judgement will never be encroached upon. You will always be valued. There will be physician-led committees that ensure this. They will be comprised of the lead partners who sold the practice so they will know what’s best for all the other junior physicians. This is what’s best. It’s all for the patients.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
No no, you have it all wrong. PE is benevolent. They simply want to enable you to be the best physician you can be by leveraging their considerable resources and provide you the autonomy you need. They will carefully and thoughtfully grow the practice and only purchase quality likeminded practices and then package them together and sell to another bigger and even more benevolent buyer with even more resources. Your judgement will never be encroached upon. You will always be valued. There will be physician-led committees that ensure this. They will be comprised of the lead partners who sold the practice so they will know what’s best for all the other junior physicians. This is what’s best. It’s all for the patients.
This is too real of a response

It’s bad. That being said, it’s not as bad as some other fields (and likely won’t ever be) for a few reasons:
- barrier to start a private practice is not impossible. Even with headwinds you can hang a solo shingle.
- patients “belong” to you and form a long term relationship
- ability to do cash pay.

I firmly believe that PE is destroying American medicine as a whole. One day the country will wake up and realize they are literally robbing grandma’s corpse and a new system will rise.

Why does it feel like grandma is robbing the grand kids? I've heard of a few small practices being sold to PE instead of being passed or sold to their kids who were partner track associates.

Why does it feel like grandma is robbing the grand kids? I've heard of a few small practices being sold to PE instead of being passed or sold to their kids who were partner track associates.

Because boomers are dinguses.