Peace Corps and Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenscalpel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

After realizing that I was slightly burned out and wanting to at least explore parts of the world beyond the classroom, I decided to try something different. I'll be serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Mozambique from this September through approximately November 2019. During that time, I was planning on taking my MCAT and applying while over there. My concern quite simply is whether getting back in late November will lower the chance that I am extended interviews or whether it would affect my chance at an acceptance.

Looking forward to hearing what your thoughts are!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no. And you can COS (close of service) a bit early and come back in September for that.
That is the perfect information to state in the "is there anything else about you that you would like the admissions committee to know?" box at the end of many secondaries. Did you get your MCAT out of the way before you leave?
Good luck! I hope you have an awesome service. Thank you for serving our country!

I just got back from serving in Zambia! Get ready for the two best years of your life.

You can COS (close of service) up to a month early at the discretion of your country director, or up to 3 months early if given permission by the African Regional Director. In my experience they typically wouldn't let you COS early unless your job or school starts within that time frame. If you're not planning on using your NCE (non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs), then you could also ET (early terminate, basically quit). I've had friends who have done this when their early COS wasn't granted.

The only place in sub-Saharan Africa to take the MCAT is in South Africa. I used this as an excuse for an awesome vacation. Studying in the village was an...interesting experience. Good luck dude!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to piggyback on this thread but its the most recent thread I have found with RPCVs answering questions about applying to Medical School. I am a Current PCV (COS in December) and just got my MCAT scores back and am looking to apply. When filling out the work/activities section, did you sum your service up in just one entry or multiple entries based on different projects/activities? Also if you just put it in one entry, how many total hours did you put? Thanks in advance!

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but its the most recent thread I have found with RPCVs answering questions about applying to Medical School. I am a Current PCV (COS in December) and just got my MCAT scores back and am looking to apply. When filling out the work/activities section, did you sum your service up in just one entry or multiple entries based on different projects/activities? Also if you just put it in one entry, how many total hours did you put? Thanks in advance!

I put it in one entry bc I cos'd in 2007. I out 4000 hours..... I think I est. 6 hours actual work per day at five days a week minus vacation days multiplied by days in country. Something like that. Don't count socializing or sleeping or self care. It probably doesn't matter. It is a ST of hours,

For your case, I think multiple entries would be a great idea if you have various projects or roles. Like one for summer camps, one for a grant award, and one for your primary role, e.g.

Good luck applying, if you want someone to read over your W&A descriptions for PC activities for feedback, PM me. I'm not an expert but Ive had experience translating my service over the years on resumes and apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Piggybacking again on this thread about Peace Corps. Let's say I joined a Peace Corps program that began service in September or August, which would mean that those months would be the earliest I could come back home. Theoretically, I might have to early terminate to start medical school in August or around then.

How would I communicate this to schools? Would I be looked down upon by considering early termination? My alternative would be to apply and then defer for a year so that I could complete my full service. Would medical schools look down upon planning to defer? The real question here is my MCAT score, which would probably expire by then. @brianmtonga

Piggybacking again on this thread about Peace Corps. Let's say I joined a Peace Corps program that began service in September or August, which would mean that those months would be the earliest I could come back home. Theoretically, I might have to early terminate to start medical school in August or around then.

How would I communicate this to schools? Would I be looked down upon by considering early termination? My alternative would be to apply and then defer for a year so that I could complete my full service. Would medical schools look down upon planning to defer? The real question here is my MCAT score, which would probably expire by then. @brianmtonga

Please do not swear in to serve as a PCV with the plan to ET. That is dishonorable and I would highly recommend against telling medical schools. Peace Corps is not a vacation. You can't just leave early. You're committing to serve. Do something else that fits your time line.

If you take your MCAT right before you leave, it won't expire.

Short answer: Yes.

You made a commitment, you need to honor it. Apply when you return and have fulfilled that commitment.

Thank you for the feedback. Of course, I would never want to do early termination. I'd rather extend my term of service and defer my admission. But I understand that this may not be feasible....

The issue is I've already taken the MCAT (did so this past May).