Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Peace Corps helps?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Geoff Gruenewalt, Mar 17, 1999.

1. Geoff Gruenewalt

Geoff Gruenewalt Junior Member

Has anybody spent time in the Peace Corps before being accepted to Med school? I have thought of doing this for many years, and have heard that it can greatly increase chances for admission. Please advise as I'm presently staring at a Peace Corps application.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ronny

Ronny Member

btt. I am curious of this as well.

4. Forensic Chick

Pre-Medical
    I had a professor in my undergrad who was in the peace corps for 10 years. He was very proud of the fact that he recruited over 20 of his students into the corps and how they were able to get into graduate school (he never said what kind of grad school) with no problems, even though some had sub-standard GPA's and test scores.

It surely wouldn't hurt - and would be an experience of a lifetime!!

5. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    You can't be in the peace corps for 10 years...there's a five year limit total and a run in the peace corps is 2 years, 3 months. You might be able to do peace corps twice in a row for 5 years, but definitely not 10 years.

look here: http://www.peacecorps.gov/employment/working/federalemployment.cfm

Ask mpp as far as acceptance to med school goes. He was in the peace corps and just started at Mayo.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, I would say that Peace Corps helped greatly with my acceptance to medical school. In fact, I would add that it was most likely the most important factor for my acceptance. It was the major point of discussion, by far, at my interviews. It has been mentioned a couple of times by professors in passing.

If you are interested in joining the Peace Corps, I could recommend it wholeheartedly. It was a life-changing experience for me and many of my colleagues. It was not easy, but it was well worth the time and effort.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Peace Corps, the application process, and what it was like for me as a volunteer.

What CoffeeCat said is true. The Peace Corps service is a 2-year commitment with an in-country training period of about 3 months. It is possible to serve two tours for a total of about five years. The Peace Corps hires many of its volunteers to work as recruiters throughout the country and at the headquarters in Washington, D.C. From there, jobs can be found working as a Peace Corps administrator in various countries.

By the way, Coffeecat...Did you ever decide on Malawi or Namibia? Are you still going? Let me know...

7. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    I PM'd ya, mpp.

If you're interested, here is a great place to check out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peacecorps2

You can search through the archives and ask returned volunteers about their experiences.

Also keep in mind that:

1) Peace Corps is a 2 yr, 3 month commitment
    2) There are many people applying these days so the application period can take a year.
    3) It's a huge commitment, not to be taken on solely for the added medical school application

Otherwise, I think it will be a great experience if you decide to do it, and can't wait to go (I'm leaving at the end of the month). :)

Feel free to ask any application/interview questions, etc.