Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Peace Corps won't take me

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by trevagandalf, Mar 6, 2007.

1. trevagandalf

Medical Student
    Peace Corps won't take me because I'm not a US citizen. But I really would like to volunteer abroad next year without having to worry about finances. Does any one know of other organizations that have similar purposes as peace corps and gives volunteers a living allowance?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    If it floats your boat, try churches. A lot of the missionaries abroad have stipends.

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    Baylormed is right. There's a real shortage of entry-level paid "good works" abroad unless you want to mix God with your medicine.

5. awk

awk AWK

Pre-Medical
    Peace corps is 27 month minimum anyways.

6. trevagandalf

Medical Student
    It doesn't matter...

7. newvernacular

Pre-Medical
    this is my first time posting... sorry if I'm violating all sorts of unwritten rules.
    I found myself in a similar place... what nationality are you? My country had something very similar for its own citizens. Check the state department or Agency for International Development equivalents of your country to see if there is something similar. Alternatively, work through NGO's in your home country. Also consider: Medecins Sans Frontiers (doctors without borders), Red Cross, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Physicians for Human Rights, World Food Programme, World Health Organisation etc. Many of them have internships that while they wouldn't give you real field work experience, would expose you to the political side of international aid.
    If you are willing to pay: Uganda Villiage Health Project was suggested to me for real field experience. I know there are a lot more similar to this... just make sure you are VERY careful in choosing who you go with. You want to be helping people - not contributing to some NGO that doesn't know what it is doing.
    Feel free to email me if you have questions... I haven't done any of these programs but have spent some time looking into similar programs. I'm currently applying for a job through my country's AID organization.