Peace Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MahlerROCKS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if med schools generally let admitted students defer matriculation for two years to serve in the Peace Corps?

Members don't see this ad.

MahlerROCKS said:
does anyone know if med schools generally let admitted students defer matriculation for two years to serve in the Peace Corps?
It's going to depend on the school. Most either don't allow deferal, or allow deferal for only a year. A two year deferal would be a bit long . . . my suggestion would be to do the peace corp first and then apply to medical school if that's really what you want to do.

Dakota said:
It's going to depend on the school. Most either don't allow deferal, or allow deferal for only a year. A two year deferal would be a bit long . . . my suggestion would be to do the peace corp first and then apply to medical school if that's really what you want to do.

If I applied after the Peace Corps then I would need at least a year inbetween for the apllication process, which would also mean I'd have to retake the MCAT's after beeing out of school for 3 years, something I really have no desire to do

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking the MCAT would suck . . . just ask a few med schools that you're interested in if they would allow a deferal like this. My guess is no . . . but you won't know unless you ask.

MahlerROCKS said:

I agree you are unlikely to get such a long deferral. Better to do the Peace Corps (if you are so inclined) and then apply -- its a very strong EC and might get you looked at by a better class of schools anyhow. Plus if you bring along some MCAT review materials, after two years of studying you should get a 43 anyhow.

Law2Doc said:
I agree you are unlikely to get such a long deferral. Better to do the Peace Corps (if you are so inclined) and then apply -- its a very strong EC and might get you looked at by a better class of schools anyhow. Plus if you bring along some MCAT review materials, after two years of studying you should get a 43 anyhow.

Unrotunately if I do the peace corps I'll be helping to find new fresh water wells in Ghana, or helping farmers to become more efficint in rural CHina, or teaching at a school in Lesotho, so I won't have time to review for the MCAT's... this really sucks

I would call the schools and ask. I was told that I could have a deferral for one year, and that I would not be granted a two year deferral "because my MCATs would have expired by the time I matriculated." I'm not sure, but it sounded to me like if my MCATs were going to still be valid at the time of my matriculation I might have had a chance for a second year (I didn't even ask, I didn't want it). I took my MCATs spring of my junior year (2002), didn't apply until summer 2003, was accepted spring 2004 (and deferred a year) and then started med school in August of 2005.

MahlerROCKS said:
Unrotunately if I do the peace corps I'll be helping to find new fresh water wells in Ghana, or helping farmers to become more efficint in rural CHina, or teaching at a school in Lesotho, so I won't have time to review for the MCAT's... this really sucks

You could always join "Doctors Without Borders" or some similar NGO after med school/residency. It would be cool - okay, interesting - to see ppl come down with infections unheard of here, as well as set up & operate a makeshift hospital.

i considered doing the peace corps before applying to med school, but decided against it for a few reasons, some of which have already been mentioned. the biggest one, though, was that it was a 2 year commitment where i wouldn't be doing anything related to my future career. i came to the conclusion that it was better for me to go to med school right after college, finish my training sooner and then go do peace corps type stuff with a medical license and all that. delaying what i wanted to do for two years to do something like find water in ghana, important as that may be, would have frustrated me immensely, especially if i knew there was a spot waiting for me at a US medical school.

MahlerROCKS said:

Everyone I know who has done Peace Corps has had AMPLE time on their hands. The pace of life is much much slower in most places that the Peace Corps will send you, and you'll be glad for something to occupy yourself with. I can tell you from experience that that is true in Ghana as long as you're not in the big cities, which I presume would be the case if you're looking for fresh water wells. I know a few people who studied for the LSATs while in Africa with the Peace Corps, and did extremely well.

Also, you can apply while you're there, so you wouldn't need an extra year off afterwards, in which case couldn't you take the MCATs before leaving? aren't they valid for 3 years?

You'll have a lot of time, believe me. Also, you'd probably be able to take the MCAT there, at the embassy, and I knew someone who took the MCAT before she left and began applying from abroad.

PM me for more details if you want.

It takes several months to do the Peace Corps application and get accepted. Why not study and take the MCAT in April and leave after that?

mashce said:
It takes several months to do the Peace Corps application and get accepted. Why not study and take the MCAT in April and leave after that?
Yeah... I think it's better that way... too