Peace Corps

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by conquire, Nov 6, 2002.

1. conquire

conquire Junior Member

I'm an RPCV currently embroiled in the application process. I'm curious how other RPCVs are faring in the process, and particularly how they have felt that the Peace Corps has affected their applications.
    I am an August MCAT taker, so I have just begun getting interview invites so I don't have much to contribute... yet.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. conquire

conquire Junior Member

I'd be happy to answer any general questions people have about the Peace Corps as a path to medical school. It is not very traditional, requiring a lot of time, but for those of us who aren't in a hurry, the Peace Corps can be a very clarifying experience.

4. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

Not to sound self-serving, but does the Peace Corps offer any med school scholarships in exchange for a commitment of service?

5. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I am sure that all of you peace corps types will fare well. There is no better way to show a commitment to service, than to give 2-3 years of your life to the citizens of a 3rd world country for essentially no money.

Zoobaby, I do not believe that there is any money in exchange for medical service.

Good luck.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    As an RPCV (Zimbabwe 97-99) I found every interviewer extremely interested in my service and in general was the main topic of conversation at every interview. Where did you serve conquire? What did you do?

7. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh, and I guess I should add that if I had to pick out one thing that got me into my top choice medical school, I definitely would say it was my Peace Corps service.

8. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member

Would you guys say AmeriCorps is somewhat comperable to the Peace Corps? I did a six month stint in a health center that primarily provided services to underserved peoples.

Thanks

9. conquire

conquire Junior Member

I was a PCV in Honduras from 97-99. I worked with water systems during my time there.

As to the question about Americorps, I can comment on that as I also served as an AmeriCorps volunteer before the Peace Corps (I know, I've got to move on from federal volunteer programs). I would imagine that med schools look at the programs similarly although I think that there is a mystique (whether deserved or not) about the Peace Corps. The actual experiences were very different for me. Life in Honduras was so much different than anything I had ever experienced or even imagined that it was really a transforming experience. I can't recommend taking time to work in the Peace Corps more highly, though it is no cakewalk. This is not to diminish my time in AmeriCorps, I learned a tremendous amount there as well, it was just closer to home. In the end, I'm not sure that adcoms really know what to make of either program, as the experience isn't defined by the program, but rather, by what one did while there. I'm just hoping that either brings up enough questions in their minds that they want to ask me more during interviews!