Pecking order of states in terms of acceptance probability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nurture

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using an ordered Probit model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probit_model, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probit) but I may end up using multinomial logit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinomial_logit).

An initial econometric analysis of data actually tells me that

Puerto Rico >>> WV/AR/NE/AL/KY/LA/MS/DE
> NY/PA/TX/OH > CA > all other states.

Of course, all this is very, very tentative! I haven't incorporated the WICHE states appropriately but it already looks like Texas isn't as great as it is made out to be. The above analysis is for the White applicant. Acceptance probabilities for minority applicants will be different.

For a more accurate model and analysis, I first need specific data beginning with:

< State, Total # of MD seats, # MD seats for instate applicants, Total # of DO seats, # DO seats for instate applicants >

Any idea where I can get this data for every state, especially the italicized bolded ones above?

Can anyone email me their MSAR?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. buy the MSAR yourself
2. considering you didn't even realize that delaware did in fact have a school with state preference, i don't think many people will take stock in your analyses

I know many people don't like hearing that Texas is not a good state but I am not loyal to any state. The fact that an analysis showing Texas is not a good state upsets many people (or maybe upsets one person with many avatars) is interesting and makes me a little suspicious. Maybe you don't like people being told places like Puerto Rico are easy to get into medical school? I don't know.

Last edited:
1. buy the MSAR yourself
2. considering you didn't even realize that delaware did in fact have a school with state preference, i don't think many people will take stock in your analyses

Delaware is accounted for in the model. Hey, and if you don't like me, don't send me the MSAR and don't waste your time reading my threads. Seriously, don't read my threads.

I know many people don't like hearing that Texas is not a good state but I am not loyal to any state. The fact that this analysis upsets many people (or maybe upsets one person with many avatars) is interesting.
I don't know anything about your probit analysis, but it seems like your little scheme couldn't account for TX residents applying to fewer schools since quite a few TX residents don't want to fill out both TMDSAS and AMCAS. That limits them to just their state schools and would make them a completely separate admissions pool from any other state.

Delaware is accounted for in the model. Hey, and if you don't like me, don't send me the MSAR and don't waste your time reading my threads. Seriously, don't read my threads.
You have like 10 threads on the front page. It's hard to avoid them.

Also, no one is going to email you their MSAR, I can promise you that

it seems like your little scheme couldn't account for TX residents applying to fewer schools

Wait, what makes you think that? Anyway, I am not going to argue. I am doing this for myself. And to pick the most favorable state for myself so that I can relocate there. I won't post results if no one appreciates it. I won't argue with anyone, especially people who don't understand A,B,C's of the econometric model in the first place. Moderator, feel free to delete this thread.

:smuggrin:
I know many people don't like hearing that Texas is not a good state but I am not loyal to any state. The fact that an analysis showing Texas is not a good state upsets many people (or maybe upsets one person with many avatars) is interesting and makes me a little suspicious. Maybe you don't like people being told places like Puerto Rico are easy to get into medical school? I don't know.

Your "analysis" fails to take into account that there is a large variance in the competitiveness of applicants from state to state. For example, while Californians and Texans have about an equal % of getting into medical school, Californians average 2 points higher on the MCAT (both for applicants and for matriculants). Not to mention other variables like the fact that CA is 13% Asian compared to the national average of 5%.

Back to the drawing board, statgeek.

:smuggrin:

Your "analysis" fails to take into account that there is a large variance in the competitiveness of applicants from state to state. For example, while Californians and Texans have about an equal % of getting into medical school, Californians average 2 points higher on the MCAT (both for applicants and for matriculants). Not to mention other variables like the fact that CA is 13% Asian compared to the national average of 5%.

MCAT scores were considered in the analysis. As were S-GPAs and O-GPAs. I used data sent to me by AAMC and AACOM over the last 5 years. I also used some census data and data from some of the tables put out by AAMC and AACOM. Do you even understand the model? I am not going to argue with idiots. Goodbye.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, what makes you think that? Anyway, I am not going to argue. I am doing this for myself. And to pick the most favorable state for myself so that I can relocate there. I won't post results if no one appreciates it. I won't argue with anyone, especially people who don't understand A,B,C's of the econometric model in the first place. Moderator, feel free to delete this thread.
Donor members of SDN can delete their own threads. For more information on how to become a donor, feel free to click here.

MCAT scores were considered in the analysis. As were S-GPAs and O-GPAs. I used data sent to me by AAMC and AACOM over the last 5 years. I also used some census data and data from some of the tables put out by AAMC and AACOM. Do you even understand the model? I am not going to argue with idiots. Goodbye.

35d2gq.jpg

I will agree that I don't understand this model. However, it seems as if it is unlikely that your model accounts for the fact that Marshall accepts West Virginians and students from neighboring states, or that SIU prefers students from only a certain part of Illinois, or that Nevada accepts Nevadans, WICHE applicants, and students from a select group of California counties bordering Nevada.

There are way too many variable besides just IS vs. OOS that make it hard to say exactly where the best place to live would be. Just focus on stuff you can improve with your app and stop trying to move to the state you think is the "best" for admissions

Why don't you move to all 50 states and some of the territories and report back in 100 years (2 years or so per state/territory to establish residency) and then tell us how your analysis pans out. That's the only way to definitively determine what you're looking for imo.

OP, since California ranks so highly on your list and it also has a superior climate, I suggest you move there and then apply to medical schools.

I swear, every time I interview at a medical school the interview waiting room consists of me, 1/3 in-state applicants, and 2/3 Californians.

I know many people don't like hearing that Texas is not a good state but I am not loyal to any state. The fact that an analysis showing Texas is not a good state upsets many people (or maybe upsets one person with many avatars) is interesting and makes me a little suspicious.

Yeah, it could all be a huge conspiracy or maybe your "analysis" sucks.

probit model + multinomial logit + econometric analysis = me no want read anymore

I dunno man, nothing gets me riled up like hearing my home state may not be a great place to be from with respect to applying to medical school.

If you're not able to be objective about something as silly as this, then no offense, but you will make one lousy doctor.

Last edited:
If you're not able to be objective about something as silly as this, then no offense, but you will make one lousy doctor.

*facepalm*

Also, judging others' ability to serve as good physicians based on (a misinterpreted) forum post is silly.

I am using an ordered Probit model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probit_model, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probit) but I may end up using multinomial logit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinomial_logit).

An initial econometric analysis of data actually tells me that

Puerto Rico >>> WV/AR/NE/AL/KY/LA/MS/DE
> NY/PA/TX/OH > CA > all other states.

How do you plan to account for your Asperger's and its effects on your chances of acceptance in your calculations?

You got way too much time on your hands if you're creating probability models....but how does living in CA give you an advantage over most states? Don't 75% of Californians end up going to med schools outside of CA because of how competitive it is in-state?