Pediatric Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome (CRPS, Fibromyalgia, etc.) Treatment at CHOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustRose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a bit of an unusual post, but I wanted to let people know that if they're interested in the Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome (AMPS) program that they use at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (University of Pennsylvania), Boston Children's Hospital (Harvard University) and several other hospitals around the US, one wanting to develop a similar AMPS program at their facility can obtain an invitation to visit and see the program by emailing David D. Sherry, MD (Chief of Pediatric Rheumatology) at the AMPS Center at CHOP. I know CHOP, at least, is really committed to fostering new programs.

If you're not familiar with these programs, they use intense PT and OT in conjunction with counseling to treat AMPS. In one study of 103 children with CRPS who went through the program 92% fully resolved their pain and five years later 88% were pain free at the time of follow-up. That particular study was published in the Clinical Journal of Pain. The team at CHOP is currently working on a fibromyalgia outcomes study, but the educated guess is that 80% of those kids leave the program pain free.

I'm new here so I'm not sure if it's kosher to post links, so I won't, but everyone has Google. I just wanted to let people who might be interested in doing that know.

Members don't see this ad.