Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pediatric and GP Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by caffeinegirl, Nov 28, 2000.

1. caffeinegirl

Physician

Attending Physician
    Hi
    I am really interested in being a pediatrician or general practitioner. What's the residency period like? How about the hours? Is it as strenuous as a surgery residency?
    I just want to know if I'll have a life or not...I know that's a luxury doing residency
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hi wiredgirl [​IMG]

Over the years I've had roommates and close friends who were residents (FP, IM, Psych and Surg) and have observed the following:

FP and Psych definitely seemed to have the best hours and often could take call from home (this will vary from program to program)

IM and Surg definitely had the worst hours, fewer days off and fewer days coming home early post-call.

Once when I was rooming with a Psych and IM residents, the IM resident calculated how much he made per hour (since they were in the same program they made exactly the same): he earned less than minimum wage while the Psych resident earned a fair bit more (not a great bit more). Since he hated IM anyway, this resident ended up switching to Psych and lived happily ever after (not really, but makes for a nice story).

Anyway, these are just my observations and I'm sure a resident in those fields can give you more definitive information. I'm currently applying for surgical programs and the estimated hours per week ranges from 65 to 96+, with vacation time ranging from 10 days to 3 weeks. I would suggest you check out the following for more information:
    www.medschool.com - has forums and other information on all the major specialties under med student location
    www.ama-assn.org/freida - you can look up specific programs and get a feel for how much vacation time, on call hours and hours per week are given (this is supplied by the programs themselves and is not guaranteed to be accurate in all cases)

I'm sure the American College of Physicians and College of FPs also have web sites which can give you more details on the lifestyle. The bottom line is two-fold here:
    1)FP and Peds typically have more family/lifestyle friendly programs
    2) if you enjoy what you do your lifestyle will also be rewarded as well.

Best of luck!

4. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    GP (which today is known as Family Practice, FP) and Peds are both three years long. As far as hours, from what I've heard, kimberlicox hit it right on the head.

General surgical residencies are five years long and the hours are notoriously disgusting. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.

5. caffeinegirl

Physician

Attending Physician
    Thanks kimberlicox and Tim

I checked out those sites...and got a lot of very useful info!

[​IMG]

6. PCSOM2002

PCSOM2002 Junior Member

For info. on the Family Med residencies in the US which are accredited through the ACGME, check out the American Association of Family Physicians residency web page. http://www.aafp.org/residencies/