• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jan 13, 2021
Hi everyone,
I'm a freshman undergrad pre-med student looking for healthcare experiences. I really love working with kids, so I am pursuing pediatric medicine. Working with kids is something that I'm really passionate about, and I already have 600+ volunteer hours working with kids (through my church and volunteering at summer camp). What I'm really looking for is healthcare experiences with kids. I would love to volunteer at a children's hospital, and there seem to be plenty of opportunities. My only concern is that the responsibilities given to volunteers aren't explicitly related to healthcare. Mostly, their duties seem to involve things like talking to patients in the waiting room, guiding families in the hospital who need directions, or even cuddling babies. To be clear, I'd love to do those things. I'm just concerned that those will not qualify as "healthcare experiences," and I already have plenty of volunteer experience. Any thoughts on this?

I've also considered becoming CNA certified. Would it be better for me to try to work as a CNA in a children's hospital?

Thanks so much in advance!

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
You can more than likely put it down as clinical volunteering. Working as a CNA will look good on your app as well, but it's something you should do because you want to, not because you want to check a box.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Hi everyone,
I'm a freshman undergrad pre-med student looking for healthcare experiences. I really love working with kids, so I am pursuing pediatric medicine. Working with kids is something that I'm really passionate about, and I already have 600+ volunteer hours working with kids (through my church and volunteering at summer camp). What I'm really looking for is healthcare experiences with kids. I would love to volunteer at a children's hospital, and there seem to be plenty of opportunities. My only concern is that the responsibilities given to volunteers aren't explicitly related to healthcare. Mostly, their duties seem to involve things like talking to patients in the waiting room, guiding families in the hospital who need directions, or even cuddling babies. To be clear, I'd love to do those things. I'm just concerned that those will not qualify as "healthcare experiences," and I already have plenty of volunteer experience. Any thoughts on this?

I've also considered becoming CNA certified. Would it be better for me to try to work as a CNA in a children's hospital?

What do you think “health care experiences” for a freshman undergrad would be?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I would love to volunteer at a children's hospital, and there seem to be plenty of opportunities. My only concern is that the responsibilities given to volunteers aren't explicitly related to healthcare. Mostly, their duties seem to involve things like talking to patients in the waiting room, guiding families in the hospital who need directions, or even cuddling babies. To be clear, I'd love to do those things. I'm just concerned that those will not qualify as "healthcare experiences," and I already have plenty of volunteer experience. Any thoughts on this?

I'd consider it non-clinical volunteering. Maybe cuddling babies traverses into clinical realm, but it is a grey area at best.

CNA would definitely be considered clinical. Rather than go through any certification or what not, I'd probably consider scribing first. There is a low bar to entry.

hmockingbird

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like most hospital volunteering is within the same vein? My clinical volunteering included things like bringing patients water, fetching supplies, playing with kids in a playroom and monitoring a waiting room (I could give directions or get people stuff but I didn’t check anyone in or do anything related to their care). You can’t do anything that involves patient care because you don’t have a license. Anyway I would consider it clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users

Moko

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My only concern is that the responsibilities given to volunteers aren't explicitly related to healthcare. Mostly, their duties seem to involve things like talking to patients in the waiting room, guiding families in the hospital who need directions, or even cuddling babies. To be clear, I'd love to do those things. I'm just concerned that those will not qualify as "healthcare experiences," and I already have plenty of volunteer experience. Any thoughts on this?
Many applicants have experiences similar to this: playing games, doing arts and crafts, reading books, or planning science experiments with hospitalized pediatric patients, giving them (and their families) reprieve from their illnesses. These experiences are often listed under "Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical" without any issue. So if these types of activities spark joy for you, be the best big brother or sister you can to these kids.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.