Pediatric critical care - anesthesiology fellowship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badancil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading through the PCCM-Anesthesia fellowship information on ABP but i was really confused by it. So here are my questions:

Being accepted to a PCCM fellowship, I have to then ask to be added to the dual pathway?

Does the website indicate that I will now have to basically cobble together my own schedule to meet all of the anesthesia and PCCM requirements in five years, or is there a more established system in place at most programs?

Is it also correct that there are no established programs and that you just have to apply and ask and hope they let you do it?

It says that you will be eligible for anesthesia and PCCM board certification at the end but not peds anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading through the PCCM-Anesthesia fellowship information on ABP but i was really confused by it. So here are my questions:

Being accepted to a PCCM fellowship, I have to then ask to be added to the dual pathway?

Does the website indicate that I will now have to basically cobble together my own schedule to meet all of the anesthesia and PCCM requirements in five years, or is there a more established system in place at most programs?

Is it also correct that there are no established programs and that you just have to apply and ask and hope they let you do it?

It says that you will be eligible for anesthesia and PCCM board certification at the end but not peds anesthesia?

Yes if you have already completed residency and are accepted into a PICU fellowship program, the anesthesia residency is done after. You must plan during the first year for application to anesthesia residency and apply during your second year of PICU at the latest so that the other members of your future anesthesia class are doing their transitional year while you finish PICU. Peds anesthesia fellowship is a separate year, which you apply in the last year of your anesthesia residency.

Are you a med stud or peds resident? If you're a med stud the easiest way to do this is to apply for combined peds-anesthesia residency and then do PICU fellowship followed by peds anesthesia fellowship.

You are correct in that there is no formal dual pathway for PICU fellowship and anesthesia residency.

I've always been curious as to what type of advantages there are to this type of career path. Seems like a lot of years in training

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to start peds residency, and I wasnt very aware of the peds-anesthesia option until after i was well into applications.

I considered the combined residency for a long time before applying for anesthesiology with the intention of doing pediatric and congenital cardiac fellowships. On the interview trail I met a number of residents in the combined program at all different stages of their training. Not one was pursuing PICU or a career in pediatrics, despite their intentions at the beginning. Every single one expressed regret for the extra year. I'm not saying it isn't good for some people, but am simply trying to illustrate the importance of careful deliberation when deciding.