pediatric dentistry boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bernese

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone taken them what is the best way to prep for them any particular material to be used for review any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

please specify: the qualifying exam or the second part which is oral. There is a review course and book for the QE, also need to know the guildelines and handbook. For the oral there is a prep course once year (in chapel hill this coming august)

where do you get the review book for the QE, and what is it called? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You get it by taking the AAPD review course (offered 3x a year in various locations). The course usually sells out very quickly, and quite a few register for the course just for the book.

Actually Gavin you can order the book alone without having to take the course. That's what I did. The course really is just going through the book at a rapid pace. A few co-residents went and didn't think it was worth it.

www.aapd.org, find the phone number, call them and ask to order the comprehensive review manual for the board exam. I think it cost me 75$.

Actually Gavin you can order the book alone without having to take the course. That's what I did. The course really is just going through the book at a rapid pace. A few co-residents went and didn't think it was worth it.

www.aapd.org, find the phone number, call them and ask to order the comprehensive review manual for the board exam. I think it cost me 75$.

Yeah, I already have the book (gift from my PD), but I didn't know they still sold it directly.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is studying for it and if any of you have sample questions. i have topics that people wrote down were covered on the exam.how are you guys studying, any word on how hard it is to pass written? It seems like there is a lot of INFO!!!!

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is studying for it and if any of you have sample questions. i have topics that people wrote down were covered on the exam.how are you guys studying, any word on how hard it is to pass written? It seems like there is a lot of INFO!!!!

Study the review manual
Study the handbook
Look over AAPD reference manual
Know ortho well, ie treatment for class II, III etc, type of headgear and what they do to teeth (intrude, extrude, mesial/distal movement)
Lots of questions, study up

I'm bumping this up. I'm taking it this year. Using the review course manual and the AAPD reference manual. I have the handbook but feel like it's too much for me right now. I've reviewed each several times. I'm trying to focus on my weak areas, specifically ortho and path.

Study the review book and review some chapters of McDonald. There will only be a few questions on easy every day pedo things like how to do an SSC. Know your Trauma, Hematology, cancer, Ortho, also study your PALS book. I remember a bunch of CPR questions. It was hard and most of us thought we failed, but only one person did not pass in my class.

I'm bumping this up. I'm taking it this year. Using the review course manual and the AAPD reference manual. I have the handbook but feel like it's too much for me right now. I've reviewed each several times. I'm trying to focus on my weak areas, specifically ortho and path.

Make sure to at least study the ortho section of the handbook. It is really an awesome write up.

From that section you will need to thoroughly understand class I, II and III ortho and how you would treat it (functional appliance, headgear, etc). Know also what the headgear will do to the dentition (decrease vertical, increase vertical, tip or distalize max or mand molars, etc). The ortho questions were detailed and there was a lot of Qs on that.

That handbook ortho section does a great job covering it all.

When you all get to oral boards let me know I can advise...just passed :)

Study the review book and review some chapters of McDonald. There will only be a few questions on easy every day pedo things like how to do an SSC. Know your Trauma, Hematology, cancer, Ortho, also study your PALS book. I remember a bunch of CPR questions. It was hard and most of us thought we failed, but only one person did not pass in my class.

Thanks for the tips. I'm hitting the review book hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that most graduates that take it one-year after don't pass it.

To anyone reading it, I would strongly recommend signing up for orals the day you find out you pass written. The information is fresh and there usually is a wait. Meaning if you find out you pass in July you'll not get into the Sept oral exam and will take it in March. Also the earlier you sign up the earlier you will take the oral exam (it's spread over 5 days). I've 'heard' that the first day of the orals is a bit kinder because they are easing the examiners into it. I know that my co-resident who took it the first day seemed to have more straight-forward stuff. It's really not bad material-wise. It's more just dealing with the stress of an oral exam..which was pretty high. The other downside of signing up early is that you need to plunk down 2k to take it!!

One week left for me, how is everybody doing?

My goodness, just want to take it already. You can never be ready for it anyways. My review course book is my bible thats all i keep doing. Sucks there are not sample questions to look at. I wonder what it means since they cut down qs from 400 to 240, does that mean it will be harder to pass?

My goodness, just want to take it already. You can never be ready for it anyways. My review course book is my bible thats all i keep doing. Sucks there are not sample questions to look at. I wonder what it means since they cut down qs from 400 to 240, does that mean it will be harder to pass?

I don't think it will be harder. But who knows. My guess is that they would like to keep the pass rate at around 65-80%, and they probably curve it accordingly.

I'm so tired of carrying the review book with me everywhere I go, and wish we could just take this thing already.

Just imagine breaking that bad boy out again in 8 months to study for orals. This time out of an educational environment of a residency and in real life. Getting out those review books and cracking them open made my stomach sick!!

Tell me about it, gotta keep reviewing otherwise in march you will feel like you did nothing:smuggrin:GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I don't think it will be harder. But who knows. My guess is that they would like to keep the pass rate at around 65-80%, and they probably curve it accordingly.

I'm so tired of carrying the review book with me everywhere I go, and wish we could just take this thing already.

are you too mostly concentrating on the comprehensice review book?

Does anyone remember any specific questions that remember from your exam??, does it come a lot of Oral Path???, is this a new version of exam with 240 questions??, because I ve heard that the other version was 400 questions.:xf:
Congratulations to all the ones that are already Diplomates. I ve been out of school since 1987 and it has been very difficult to crack the books again. Thank you all for the good tips and your time.
Canon:)

Does anyone remember any specific questions that remember from your exam??, does it come a lot of Oral Path???, is this a new version of exam with 240 questions??, because I ve heard that the other version was 400 questions.:xf:
Congratulations to all the ones that are already Diplomates. I ve been out of school since 1987 and it has been very difficult to crack the books again. Thank you all for the good tips and your time.
Canon:)

The older version was 400 questions. This one is now 240 questions. I've heard that it is very medically-focused, with lots of oral path and general path questions.

I guess I'll find out in 47 hours, though!

What is the difference in these books?, :the review course manual and the comprehensive review book. Are you talking about the little blue handbook of the AAPD and the booke of the review course? right?. Good luck in your exam and if you can let us know some hints. :thumbup:

Does anyone remember any specific questions that remember from your exam??

Regurgitating specific questions would be unethical, as a professional you should know that.

What is the difference in these books?, :the review course manual and the comprehensive review book. Are you talking about the little blue handbook of the AAPD and the booke of the review course? right?. Good luck in your exam and if you can let us know some hints. :thumbup:

Yes, those are the books. Both of them touch on the same topics--some of the outlines are actually identical. The comprehensive review book goes to some greater depth on subjects.

anyone take the exam today? so what did you guys think?

good luck, i heard it wasnt that bad, hope it stays the same for us!!!!

Took it this morning, thought it was absolutely brutal. I studied the review book numerous times, and there were probably 20-30% of the test questions that I hadn't studied at all.

I took it this morning. It made my brain hurt. I may have 'known' the subject matter, but the WAY they WORDED the choices - so sketchy. I know I gave so many wrong answers! Any idea about what percentage right is needed to pass?

Last edited:
wow,
completely different response than i heard yesterday. Could they make one version so much harder than the other? I am taking it tomorrow, I wonder whats mine going to be like?

wow,
completely different response than i heard yesterday. Could they make one version so much harder than the other? I am taking it tomorrow, I wonder whats mine going to be like?

Yeah, I think it could be very different exams for each day. My understanding is that it is curved for each day (evidenced by the top takers each day getting an award--not the top takers for the week, per the ABPD website).

If that a how it is, then I feel much better. I knew a lot, but had an $-load I was trying to remember from dental school!!

It makes sense for different exams each day and also different scoring each day.

Of course if I didn't pass I will retake next year and at least know what to expect, but I WANTED THIS TO BE THE LAST WRITTEN EXAM I EVER TOOK! Know what I mean?

I hope you did well Gavin:thumbup:, how many questions were, 200 or 240?, any clues or advise, I am taking mine until Saturday. The main problem with this exam is that there is no guide at all, everything is a theory, like G and D. I appreciate ya your advise!!!!!!!:xf:

Hi Liya, how did you do in you exam? did you have enough time? any clues? I hope you did well. I am very stressed, I am taking it on Sat. :thumbup:

Any idea about what percentage right is needed to pass?

I hope you did well Gavin:thumbup:, how many questions were, 200 or 240?, any clues or advise, I am taking mine until Saturday. The main problem with this exam is that there is no guide at all, everything is a theory, like G and D. I appreciate ya your advise!!!!!!!:xf:

240 questions. Sorry, no clues, I'm not going to talk specifics.

Would anybody have any information regarding the Canadian Pediatric Board Exam? Thank you.

Anyone willing to sell me their review course book? AAPD is not selling them anymore.

Hey guys,
All of you took the exam with me back in may of 2009 and hope all of you passed and now studying for oral boards.
If you guys are sudying for oral, what is the word? how should i approach it? what material to concentrate on?thanks

All you that took written previously, if you had three weeks left to study, what would you focus on- guidlines; review course manual?? Getting very tired of studying!

Did any of the 2010 ABPD QE takers get their results?

I took the ABPD QE in May 2010 and I just got my PD certificate.I want to request my score. The problem is that I do not have my license yet. The ABPD website states that if we do not submmit the board candidacy appl+ license+ certificate by Nov 1st they will forfeit the results. I hope I will be able to get my license by mid Oct, but I am afraid it might take longer. Do you know about any cases like mine?

thanks.

All you that took written previously, if you had three weeks left to study, what would you focus on- guidlines; review course manual?? Getting very tired of studying!

How did the test go for you? i am trying to study for next year But dont know what depth??

Do you have any review questions?

I was just wondering for a clarification you mean by the review manual as the review book that we get from the annual pedo meeting or a different one?
My exam is this may and I'm juggling the reference manual,pedo hand book and the review book from the pedo meeting!! And I'm so overwhelemed and confused , am I on the right path of studying and which to focus more on among these books, and am I missing somethin??

Thanks

I was just wondering for a clarification you mean by the review manual as the review book that we get from the annual pedo meeting or a different one?
My exam is this may and I'm juggling the reference manual,pedo hand book and the review book from the pedo meeting!! And I'm so overwhelemed and confused , am I on the right path of studying and which to focus more on among these books, and am I missing somethin??

Thanks

I was referencing the review course manual, but in terms of full disclosure I'll tell you that I didn't pass the exam when I took it. I'm taking it again this May.

I'm also studying from the 3 books you mentioned. I don't know if I'm dumb, or wasn't focused, but hopefully I can fix the problems this time around.

I was referencing the review course manual, but in terms of full disclosure I'll tell you that I didn't pass the exam when I took it. I'm taking it again this May.

I'm also studying from the 3 books you mentioned. I don't know if I'm dumb, or wasn't focused, but hopefully I can fix the problems this time around.

Gavin, two quick questions: - did you have a prep class in your residency? During the test, did you feel that many questions you’ve heard a first time or familiar topics, but just couldn’t remember the answer?

Gavin, two quick questions: - did you have a prep class in your residency? During the test, did you feel that many questions you’ve heard a first time or familiar topics, but just couldn’t remember the answer?

I felt there were many questions regarding things that I may have heard once upon a time but were completely insignificant to the practice of pediatric dentistry. Really off-the-wall stuff. We had no prep class.