Pediatric Dentistry Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCAT_gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this but could not come up with any threads....

What do you think are the 5 [or 10 if you have the patience to type] best Pediatric Dentistry Programs? Which ones pay a stipend and which ones require us to pay tuition amongst them? If you know, what kinda stats does each program look for in the list? Eg: Research emphasis or very high part 1 scores and no emphasis on research etc.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I am just very confused about the programs available and would appreciate any input.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think are the 5 [or 10 if you have the patience to type] best Pediatric Dentistry Programs? Which ones pay a stipend and which ones require us to pay tuition amongst them? If you know, what kinda stats does each program look for in the list? Eg: Research emphasis or very high part 1 scores and no emphasis on research etc.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I am just very confused about the programs available and would appreciate any input.:confused:

This will give you ample info regarding stipend, location, applicant to acceptance ratio, etc:

http://www.aapd.org/training/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=372076&highlight=pedo

Members don't see this ad :)
What criteria are you using to differentiate "the best" programs? Further, how would the individuals posting on this board have any more worhtwhile info than you? My suggestion...contact CODA and ask for the latest sight visit reports on the programs you are interested in. Real facts. Real stats. No hearsay or anecdotes. After all, we can all agree that we are intersted in evidence based dentistry.

What criteria are you using to differentiate "the best" programs? Further, how would the individuals posting on this board have any more worhtwhile info than you? My suggestion...contact CODA and ask for the latest sight visit reports on the programs you are interested in. Real facts. Real stats. No hearsay or anecdotes. After all, we can all agree that we are intersted in evidence based dentistry.

I think I can comment on programs that were top 5 in my opinion. It's based on my research and the interviews and externships I went on. CODA will do nothing to tell you about day to day life as a resident, the extent of OR/Sedations/Well Child vs Special Needs etc. I can't think of something more useless than going through CODA.

First, choose whether or not you want to do a hospital or school-based. Hospital based are usually more clinical versus the school, but at a school you can get a masters at many programs if you might be interested in teaching. From there, go to your pedo program director and ask what programs they suggest you apply to. Pedo is a small world, they will be helpful. Go shadow pedodontists in your area and ask where they went, if they liked it, etc. See where other dental students from your school went and try to contact them at their program to see if they like it. The most helpful thing is externing. That way, you can figure out what you want in a program and can compare it to others as you interview.

I think I can comment on programs that were top 5 in my opinion. It's based on my research and the interviews and externships I went on. CODA will do nothing to tell you about day to day life as a resident, the extent of OR/Sedations/Well Child vs Special Needs etc. I can't think of something more useless than going through CODA.

First, choose whether or not you want to do a hospital or school-based. Hospital based are usually more clinical versus the school, but at a school you can get a masters at many programs if you might be interested in teaching. From there, go to your pedo program director and ask what programs they suggest you apply to. Pedo is a small world, they will be helpful. Go shadow pedodontists in your area and ask where they went, if they liked it, etc. See where other dental students from your school went and try to contact them at their program to see if they like it. The most helpful thing is externing. That way, you can figure out what you want in a program and can compare it to others as you interview.

Site visit reports give exactly the info you specified, ie # of sedations, well child vs special needs, as well as the number of visits and procedures done in the program. There is also a detailed report on the didactic proram listing exactly what to expect academically. Further, you will know how much attending coverage and what type there will be. I guess you haven't read too many of these.

Site visit reports give exactly the info you specified, ie # of sedations, well child vs special needs, as well as the number of visits and procedures done in the program. There is also a detailed report on the didactic proram listing exactly what to expect academically. Further, you will know how much attending coverage and what type there will be. I guess you haven't read too many of these.

I agree that it would be a good source of information. I don't need to read it, however, to know that it's all surface-level and should be taken as such.

A report can say there are 2 attendings on the floor at all times, but if one of them sits in his office doing administrative work while 'on the floor', and the other has a penchant for long coffee breaks, then in reality there aren't two of them on the floor. This isn't stuff that you will find in that report but in talking with residents or observing during an externship.

Along the same lines, they could have it listed that residents do 150 OR cases, but half of them could be as second resident where they stand around with their hands in their pockets observing, which after a handful gets redundant and doesn't serve much purpose. This is the type of stuff you need to see in person or speak with the residents, not what a two-dimensional report will show you.

As far as what to expect didactically, that information is readily available on the AAPD program website. It's all about gathering info here and there and putting the puzzle together. Every program will leave you with a certificate, and most real learning will take place on the job in private practice. I usually just advise people to go where they see theselves being the happiest.

I agree that it would be a good source of information. I don't need to read it, however, to know that it's all surface-level and should be taken as such.

Good points. CODA site visits are programs putting on their game faces, and I doubt that most of that documented stuff actually goes down like that on any given day.

Good points. CODA site visits are programs putting on their game faces, and I doubt that most of that documented stuff actually goes down like that on any given day.

Coda reports also include resident commentary, which is generally very forthcoming and addresses both strong points and shortcomings. Contrary to you opinion, it is not all fluff. If you don't believe me, ask your future director. Further, it is the only hard documented evidence you can actually see, and if you read reports on different programs, you can actually discern what makes one program different from the other. Don't summarily discount them as a useful tool, but not the only tool.

Coda reports also include resident commentary, which is generally very forthcoming and addresses both strong points and shortcomings. Contrary to you opinion, it is not all fluff. If you don't believe me, ask your future director. Further, it is the only hard documented evidence you can actually see, and if you read reports on different programs, you can actually discern what makes one program different from the other. Don't summarily discount them as a useful tool, but not the only tool.

I can't say it for everyone, but I know when CODA was here this year I was not entirely forthcoming with them upon questioning. Everyone has gripes, but as residents we feel the pressure not to air dirty laundry in fear of the small chance of losing accredidation.

Coda reports also include resident commentary, which is generally very forthcoming and addresses both strong points and shortcomings. Don't summarily discount them as a useful tool, but not the only tool.

I've been interviewed by CODA several times. I know what *I* told them, so I can imagine what others might be saying.

I agree that the reports can be a useful tool, but there are others I would use first.

I've been interviewed by CODA several times. I know what *I* told them, so I can imagine what others might be saying.

I agree that the reports can be a useful tool, but there are others I would use first.

What other reports would you use first?

How many residencies have you done that you have spoken with CODA site examiners for post doctoral education several times. I know you are an AZ student, but those examiners for accreditation are different than the post doc people.

How many residencies have you done that you have spoken with CODA site examiners for post doctoral education several times. I know you are an AZ student, but those examiners for accreditation are different than the post doc people.

The people that go to each program for site visits may be different, but it's all the same committee. There isn't a post-doc CODA and a pre-doc CODA.

Back to your original post...

in no particular order, top 5 (from my experience... interviewed at 8... going to my #1):

ohio state
baylor
san antonio
indiana
cinci

i've heard good things about unc too... but its 3 years...

The people that go to each program for site visits may be different, but it's all the same committee. There isn't a post-doc CODA and a pre-doc CODA.

The post doc programs are reviewed by program directors. They are under the guidance of the Council for Post Doctoral Education. There is a separate body for pre doc.