Pediatric fellowships: how can most people match into their top choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you look at the NRMP data, looks like most people (even for the more competitive fellowships) will match into their top 3. Trying to wrap my mind around this...how could this be?!

Members don't see this ad.

Fellowship is much more “fit” than residency, and you have numbers on your side. For instance, in Endo there are 80+ spots, but somewhere like 50-60 applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the wait killing anyone else? I'm trying not to obsess but dang... how long does it take to run the match algorithm?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I remember being there. and I had a lot of IM friends applying for fellowships so when they match 2 weeks earlier it just makes everything drag. good luck but I feel for you!

If you look at the NRMP data, looks like most people (even for the more competitive fellowships) will match into their top 3. Trying to wrap my mind around this...how could this be?!
It's economics. Pediatric fellowships aren't competitive because most subspecialties don't pay any better than general pediatrics. It simply doesn't make sense to give up three years' salary for no increase in pay.

I remember being there. and I had a lot of IM friends applying for fellowships so when they match 2 weeks earlier it just makes everything drag. good luck but I feel for you!

I seem to remember it only being a week in the past couple years. But maybe that’s just cause I am condensing everything in my memory.

I seem to remember it only being a week in the past couple years. But maybe that’s just cause I am condensing everything in my memory.
At least there's a pre-set time for releasing matches, unlike waiting for USMLE/peds boards results, where there's just a vague window of time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user