Pediatric Heart surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesus2324

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, im currently a college student working on my bachelors to get into medical school, ive done research of my own, and now roughly know the road, can someone who knows outline the steps and how long it would take, im currently 22 years old

Members don't see this ad.

Lol

Have you ever watched/assisted in pediatric heart surgery. You should realize that you may change your mind once you get through medical school

hello all, im currently a college student working on my bachelors to get into medical school, ive done research of my own, and now roughly know the road, can someone who knows outline the steps and how long it would take, im currently 22 years old

it's good to have an ambitious goal, but first things first - you need to get into medical school!

so how are your numbers and ECs looking? taken the MCAT yet?

don't even begin to think about what specialty (or in your case, a surgical sub-specialty) until you get your first acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't tell if serious or not, but nobody is going to do all your leg work for you. If you're serious about becoming a doctor (of whatever specialty it doesn't matter) then YOU must put in the time to learn the process. There is a wealth of useful info on this site, I suggest you plow through all of it. You're trying to figure out your career, not buying a used car.

guessing something along the lines of:

med school 4 years
gen surgery residency 5-6 years
CT surgery fellowship 2-3 years
1 year peds CT fellowship

there's variability and i think theres some combined general+CT residency options too...? but in any case dont expect less than 8ish years of training after med school.

Pretty sure you have to do gen surgery (5 years?), then peds surgery fellowship (2 years), then CT fellowship (2-3 years?).

Its likely you are both right. I'm of the opinion there's more than one way of getting there.

Pretty sure you have to do gen surgery (5 years?), then peds surgery fellowship (2 years), then CT fellowship (2-3 years?).
No, you don't do a peds surgery fellowship.

med school 4 years

there's variability and i think theres some combined general+CT residency options too...? but in any case dont expect less than 8ish years of training after med school.
It's this, but you're leaving out some serious amounts of research that often happens. One of the peds cards surgeons at my alma mater graduated college in ~1982, did med school, general surgery, a PhD in immunology, CT surgery, then peds cards surgery. Took 20 years.

No, you don't do a peds surgery fellowship.

It's this, but you're leaving out some serious amounts of research that often happens. One of the peds cards surgeons at my alma mater graduated college in ~1982, did med school, general surgery, a PhD in immunology, CT surgery, then peds cards surgery. Took 20 years.

20 years? Damn.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Wow--you know what you want to do at 22 years old? I'm 29 and I just decided to go to medical school now and have no clue what I want to practice ;)

med school 4 years

This is pretty accurate. Like Prowler mentioned these guys typically come from academic residencies and thus do a couple years of research along with their Gen. Surgery training, so there's 7 years and then the CT fellowship, then a Peds CT "super"fellowship. I've also read that it's not uncommon for these surgeons to do as many as 2 or 3 peds ct fellowships due to there being very few positions for this specialty even in big cities. It's very niche. That part is not unlike PhD's doing 2 or 3 post-docs waiting for a faculty position.

The new thing on the block are the integrated CT residencies, which would allow one to do that (6 years?) and then straight to a peds CT fellowship. These programs are very few and far between currently, and only very recently actually graduating residents so I don't believe there is much of a beaten path for matching fellowships from the integrated residencies.

This is pretty accurate. Like Prowler mentioned these guys typically come from academic residencies and thus do a couple years of research along with their Gen. Surgery training, so there's 7 years and then the CT fellowship, then a Peds CT "super"fellowship. I've also read that it's not uncommon for these surgeons to do as many as 2 or 3 peds ct fellowships due to there being very few positions for this specialty even in big cities. It's very niche. That part is not unlike PhD's doing 2 or 3 post-docs waiting for a faculty position.

The new thing on the block are the integrated CT residencies, which would allow one to do that (6 years?) and then straight to a peds CT fellowship. These programs are very few and far between currently, and only very recently actually graduating residents so I don't believe there is much of a beaten path for matching fellowships from the integrated residencies.

I've heard this as well. I have a friend whose cousin completed a peds CT fellowship, and she still can't find a job several years out.

I've heard this as well. I have a friend whose cousin completed a peds CT fellowship, and she still can't find a job several years out.

Yeah, from what I've read CT surgery is way saturated for the coming years. Sucks as I think it's a pretty cool field. :(