Pediatric hospital medicine fellowship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lil808

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I wanted to make a thread dedicated to those interviewing for Peds hospital medicine this year! Please let us know what programs you’ve heard from :)

- Cleveland clinic
- Vanderbilt
- UT Memphis
- Marshall
- Mercy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I wanted to make a thread dedicated to those interviewing for Peds hospital medicine this year! Please let us know what programs you’ve heard from :)

- Cleveland clinic
- Vanderbilt
- UT Memphis
- Marshall
- Mercy
If you trained at a good program, and just want to practice community peds hospital medicine, you shouldn’t need that fellowship

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, last year there were 79 applicants for 56 spots. So I'd say yes, people are doing this fellowship.

Keep in mind, last year the practice pathway was still open.
If they are only fellowship training 50-60 people a year it clearly is required for employment

Well, last year there were 79 applicants for 56 spots. So I'd say yes, people are doing this fellowship.

Keep in mind, last year the practice pathway was still open.
Sad. These folks don't know their worth.

If you trained at a good program, and just want to practice community peds hospital medicine, you shouldn’t need that fellowship

If they are only fellowship training 50-60 people a year it clearly is required for employment

You're not wrong, but I don't think most people applying to these fellowships want to work strictly in community hospitals. I think they want to teach and work in an academic setting. I think this will rapidly become a defacto requirement in such settings. I don't like it, but it's the way it is now, so people who want to be academic hospitalists are lining up for the fellowships.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not wrong, but I don't think most people applying to these fellowships want to work strictly in community hospitals. I think they want to teach and work in an academic setting. I think this will rapidly become a defacto requirement in such settings. I don't like it, but it's the way it is now, so people who want to be academic hospitalists are lining up for the fellowships.
All this is is a way for corporations, oh I mean academic institutions, to exploit cheaper labor. You're deferring over 300k of income. Silly.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
It only becomes a de facto requirement if enough people are scared enough to get in line for two extra years of servitude and loan deferment.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would a peds physician need a fellowship to practice hospital medicine (something they have done throughout residency)? We are suckers because we keep letting these people take advantage of us.

Next thing will be IM hospital medicine fellowship... or FM primary care fellowship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All this is is a way for corporations, oh I mean academic institutions, to exploit cheaper labor. You're deferring over 300k of income. Silly.
It might be more if it's a 2-year fellowship...

Big academic centers like Vandy, Emory, University of Miami will cause the downfall of medicine... They are training NP to be everything by having a bunch of B$ NP 'fellowships'

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

- Cleveland clinic
- Vanderbilt
- UT Memphis
- Marshall
- Mercy

Has anyone heard from the following programs?
-uc San diego
-chla
-Colorado
-duke
-musc
-childrens national

Have not heard from uc San Diego or chla? Anyone heard from childrens national or Colorado?

Heard from:
Seattle
Utah
CHLA
San Diego
Stanford
Colorado

Has anyone heard from
UCSF
Boston
Northwestern?

Last edited: