Pediatric Hospitalist Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuddlycacti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So whats the deal? To do or not do? How competitive is it to match into the few available programs?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your long term plans? Currently it's not a must but with a board certification it feels like the noose is tightening. If you want to work at an academic center, I suspect it will soon be required. If you want to get into research or administrative roles a fellowship will also be useful. If your goal is to run a pediatric ward in more of a community setting you might be fine.

So whats the deal? To do or not do? How competitive is it to match into the few available programs?
Don't be a sucker.

Why do people want to be an academic hospitalist so badly that they are willing to give into this corporatist nonsense and defer all that income?

If hospital based acute care is so important to you you might as well do PEM and earn more money and be in huge demand.

We can't get enough pediatricians to fill many of the more legitimate subspecialty needs in many places. Pediatric pulmonology, rheumatology, nephrology, etc are all undermanned. I doubt there will be such a large cohort of people willing to do a hospitalist medicine fellowship that they can actually saturate the entire hospitalist market or even the academic hospitalist market for that matter. It might make sense if you want to be competitive for jobs at the more sought after academic centers, take leadership roles, or have a research heavy career. I would try to at least get an MPH or MBA out of it but ultimately I'd personally have a hard time doing a hospitalist fellowship when I could use that time to pursue a better paying or at least more in demand sub-specialty.

The irony is that, as with most of medicine, the career paths that will most require the extra training will be the type of career path that pays the least. The community physicians in less desirable locations will continue making twice as much money and shaking their head.