Pediatric Pain Medicine Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIGphysician

Show a little respect would you?
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into this field, it seems relatively new with only afew institutions offering the fellowship. Do you receive a general certificate as a pain physician, or are you limited to only pediatric pain management? What is the caseload? Terminal pediatric patients? Procedural heavy? I love working with kids but I'm wondering if there is a similar lifestyle to adult chronic pain practice? - important to consider every aspect of the field before committing to it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of any that would take you without a Peds fellowship first. As to lifestyle, the Peds pain faculty at my shop take separate call and do a lot of the regional rooms. It's certainly not procedure heavy like adult pain. The majority of the procedures are really acute pain/regional in nature. Also the nature of the terminal cases doesn't tend to lend itself to some of the palliative blocks used on adults.

--
Il Destriero

There are currently two ACGME accredited programs in the country. They are 50:50 adults:peds. Both require completion of a peds fellowship prior. There are some other "peds pain fellowships" that you can tailor to your needs, from what I have been told. These you can enter with a pain fellowship prior.
As to the nature of the practice, I've seen research heavy groups, acute pain/regional groups, post-op pain management focused groups, palliative care focused groups, and those operating more like adult clinics but they do try to avoid narcotics as best they can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Do you guys know how the one year of pediatric pain medicine is split in these two programs m? Specifically would like to know how much regional experience we would get during that year.
Thank you in advance!

I was close to doing the Harvard program. Great program, great teachers. I just didn't want to do kids. I felt that if I did this fellowship and then did adults, even if I felt comfortable technically, I would always be questioned as to why I did a pedi pain fellowship.. and no they did not require a pedi anesthesia fellowship. It was a weird program as I wasn't sure who exactly it was for... and I don't think you are board eligible for adult pain boards afterwards..

Reactions: 1 user
I was close to doing the Harvard program. Great program, great teachers. I just didn't want to do kids. I felt that if I did this fellowship and then did adults, even if I felt comfortable technically, I would always be questioned as to why I did a pedi pain fellowship.. and no they did not require a pedi anesthesia fellowship. It was a weird program as I wasn't sure who exactly it was for... and I don't think you are board eligible for adult pain boards afterwards..

where did you end up if you don't mind sharing? I am looking into ped pain as well. I looked at the Boston program, they did not say much about the selecting criteria. Do they only take anesthesiology or PM&R as well? How competitive is it now? thanks a lot.

I went to UPMC for regular pain. Im happy I didnt do the boston peds program it sounded weird and sad. Maybe a good fit for someone looking to do a lot of further pain research or research background. It seemed like the kind of program that some years its completely empty and doesnt run, and some years they fill all 2-3 spots quickly. Its not exactly on the radar of most candidates. All you can do is apply and see what happens .. good luck and if you have any other ?s feel free to PM