Pediatric programs and choice of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any DO schools with good pediatric programs. I know NYCOM has the highest percentage of students going into peds residencies by a long shot, but their matching doesnt seem that great. Of the people who have applied, has any schools boasted about their peds like some schools do about their anatomy program or OMM programs? As a future pediatrician and more than likely DO, love the philosophy and fits better with me, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

redwings54 said:
Does anyone know of any DO schools with good pediatric programs. I know NYCOM has the highest percentage of students going into peds residencies by a long shot, but their matching doesnt seem that great. Of the people who have applied, has any schools boasted about their peds like some schools do about their anatomy program or OMM programs? As a future pediatrician and more than likely DO, love the philosophy and fits better with me, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
If you dont like NYCOM matches then you wont likely find those at other osteopathic schools to be better,as NYCOM has in general very strong matching at allopathic programs.A major childrens hospital at Long Island Jewish Hospital is located not far from NYCOM.You can no doubt take electives there and NYCOM students match there.Aside from the most prestigious peds programs which are highly competitive even for allopathic applicants it is not difficult to match at a good peds residency.You can do this from any med school.

I wouldnt sweat matching into peds. It is not very competitive at this time and I highly doubt it will become much more competitive in the next 5-10 years. Primary care residencies are generally easy to match into from any school.