Pediatric Rehab Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still just a second year med student, so I know I have a little while before I need to figure out what specialty I want to go into and all. However, I think I have a good amount of interest in pediatric rehab and I have a few questions about the field. I looked around a little on the site, but it seems like most of the info is a few years old.

First, where do most pediatric rehab doctors work? Is it mostly academic and large hospitals, or are there some private/group practice people out there?

Also, how do most patients end up seeing a pediatric rehab doctor? As in, do they get referred from their general pediatrician, from neurodevelopmental peds, from ortho, etc?

And, what is the deal with the combined residencies? I understand that you would still need to do a fellowship after to be boarded in pediatric rehab, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of this path? Is it particularly hard with only 6 (down to 5 with UBuffalo gone?) programs?

If you have any other advice/comments/info about pediatric rehab that would be great! It sounds like a really exciting field to me and I look forward to learning some more about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Traditionally most PM&R/peds are academic, since that's where the Children's hospitals tend to be - major cities. You'll rarely, if ever find one rural.

Most see PM&R docs by referral from any of the sources you mention. Usually it's a team effort - multiple docs and professionals involved.

Regarding combined residencies - small supply but small demand.

peds rehab is a pretty neat field, is in high demand, and well respected amongst your peers. majority of the patients seem to be CP and/or gait evaluations. lots of bracing, botox, baclofen pumps. high demand does not equate to money--if you are looking for dough, this is the wrong place. most jobs are in academics or public children's hospitals. high satisfaction, but six years of training. combined programs might shave some time off, but more than likely you will do little with your peds certification... better like peds though--5-6 years is a long time and your preferences may change. if you like rehab in general, general pm&r residency and then peds fellowship offers a little more flexibility should your preferences change...