scoutnj19

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey y'all...

peds resident applying to sports medicine fellowship this year. just curious who else is out there applying.

good luck to everyone!

OP
scoutnj19

scoutnj19

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey y'all...

peds resident applying to sports medicine fellowship this year. just curious who else is out there applying.

good luck to everyone!
bump. there's gotta be some people!!!

Aug 9, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In the same boat with ya. Also peds applying for sports. Good luck this season!

KP2AZ

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey y'all, I'm trying to pick between Peds, MedPeds, and FM. One huge thing I'm trying to figure out is:

What is the difference between going into pediatrics, then getting a fellowship in Sports Medicine vs FM to sports medicine?
-are you restricted to pediatric Sports issues (peewee football, etc) or are you now Sports medicine who sees all age groups in the spectrum of sports related injuries?

Just thinking out loud, I strongly dislike OB/GYN. If I can do SM from Peds or MedPeds and treat professional/semiprofessional athletes...I'm dropping FM like a hot potato (unless it has bacon, butter and cheese).

Last edited:

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Pediatricians see young adults too (up to mid 20s in some cases), and this age group is going to constitute the vast majority of athletes. The difference will really be your eventually comfort level with the younger kids that you would treat in sports. However, I don't know the answer to whether or not you can become a team doc from Peds vs IM, as most professional team docs I see are ortho surgeons who specialize in sports, rather than medicine based sports med docs.

Reactions: KP2AZ

dbeast

That's cool I guess
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2010
The hospital, duh
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I know a peds trained guy who is on staff for the LA Galaxy soccer team (n=1 but there ya go)

Reactions: KP2AZ

KP2AZ

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Pediatricians see young adults too (up to mid 20s in some cases), and this age group is going to constitute the vast majority of athletes. The difference will really be your eventually comfort level with the younger kids that you would treat in sports. However, I don't know the answer to whether or not you can become a team doc from Peds vs IM, as most professional team docs I see are ortho surgeons who specialize in sports, rather than medicine based sports med docs.
I know what you mean about "not being a professional team doctor." I'll gladly leave that to the OrthoPods! I just wanted to see if I could practice a relatively wide array of SM from peds.