Pediatrician doing Sleep Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prterosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I couldn't really find any thread for PEDS in Sleep Medicine. I am a full-time practicing general pediatrician with 7 years of experience. I want to advance my career as a sleep doc because I developed interest in this field. I would like hear about experiences as sleep doc with peds background. How is the job prospect? I want to be a general sleep doc and not only pediatric sleep doc Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody, I couldn't really find any thread for PEDS in Sleep Medicine. I am a full-time practicing general pediatrician with 7 years of experience. I want to advance my career as a sleep doc because I developed interest in this field. I would like hear about experiences as sleep doc with peds background. How is the job prospect? I want to be a general sleep doc and not only pediatric sleep doc Thanks

Well, you'd be a fabulous pick for handling the pediatric sleep population, which isn't always the easiest thing to do for those of us from adult-based residency backgrounds.

To practice sleep medicine full time it is advisable to complete a one year fellowship at an accredited training program. The ACGME-accredited sleep medicine fellowship is not necessary to see sleep patients on a part time or hobby basis, but would be a must for someone from pediatrics seeking to truly learn about adult sleep medicine. Furthermore, you cannot read and bill for the sleep studies at an AASM accredited laboratory if you are not board certified, and you cannot currently be board certified without the fellowship. You can read them at non-accredited labs, but most people would encourage you to go ahead and get the fellowship done.

On the good side, the fellowship is only one year in length (although some places add a second year for research), so you're not going to have to face too much in terms of lost potential income to go back into training.

The job prospects for someone interested in pediatric sleep medicine would be good.

Hi Danielmd,
Thanks for your response. Actually I didn't made it clear in my post that I starting my Sleep Medicine fellowship in July 2013 with very balanced pediatric and adult exposure.
I am really curious how to prepare myself to get the most out of fellowship. What are the most effective resources available? Which books or other material should be read?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the International Classification of Sleep Disorders and "Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine" by Kryger, Roth, and Dement, of course. I haven't read either cover-to-cover yet, though.

Otherwise, I truly liked both "A Case a Week: Sleep Disorders from the Cleveland Clinic" by Foldvary-Schaefer, and "Review of Sleep Medicine" by Avidan and Barkoukis.

Your fellowship will likely supply the first two. If you had to go with just one, I would actually pick "Review of Sleep Medicine" as a single, condensed (yet detailed) reference.

Thanks. I have principles and practice of sleep medicine.
What are the 'must- read' chapters in that book. Of course it is impossible to read it cover to cover.