Pediatrician Trained in Adult Palliative Care, Career Opportunities After Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedr

Reaction score
Hello all - I was wondering if anyone knows what the job opportunities are like for peds who train in adult HPM programs. I'm interested in doing HPM for both adults/children. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not in this position (I'm internal med -> adult HPM), However I would suppose that there would be some possibilities

For example my professor (attending adult HPM doc, originally PM&R trained) was offered a pediatric palliative job while he was finishing his HPM fellowship. So theoretically one could do the "reverse".

Since the majority of "adult HPM" fellowship is taking care of adults and elderly pts, you would theoretically be qualified. Maybe someone with first hand experience can provide input?

One important thing to know is that all "normal" (adult) HPM fellowships have at least 4 weeks of "token" pediatrics rotations per ACGME (or is it ABIM?) rules (and there are also a smaller number of pediatric HPM fellowships that focus specifically on peds).

I am not in this position (I'm internal med -> adult HPM), However I would suppose that there would be some possibilities

For example my professor (attending adult HPM doc, originally PM&R trained) was offered a pediatric palliative job while he was finishing his HPM fellowship. So theoretically one could do the "reverse".

Since the majority of "adult HPM" fellowship is taking care of adults and elderly pts, you would theoretically be qualified. Maybe someone with first hand experience can provide input?

One important thing to know is that all "normal" (adult) HPM fellowships have at least 4 weeks of "token" pediatrics rotations per ACGME (or is it ABIM?) rules (and there are also a smaller number of pediatric HPM fellowships that focus specifically on peds).

Great, thank you for the info! That’s an interesting example you provided. Glad to hear there’s some flexibility at least. Hopefully will hear from some more folks but thanks for the response!