joetrue

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,

I thought about posting this in the peds subforum but I figured there is more traffic here in the med student section. I'm wanting to do pediatrics.

4th year DO student
USMLE Step I: 203, 1st attempt
COMLEX Level I: 480, 1st attempt
COMLEX Level II CE: 476, 1st attempt
COMLEX Level II PE: Pass, 1st attempt
I haven't taken Step II
Bottom 25% of my class
No course failures, no board failures
Honored my 3rd year peds clerkship
I'm not a jerk, at least I don't think I am.

Any thoughts?

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
are you applying DO and MD or just one or the other? for MD, don't plan on big academic programs, but I know plenty of people with similar scores who were very successful in peds. I would do auditions where you want to go. you should be fine, but be realistic.

OP
J

joetrue

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
Status
Medical Student
are you applying DO and MD or just one or the other? for MD, don't plan on big academic programs, but I know plenty of people with similar scores who were very successful in peds. I would do auditions where you want to go. you should be fine, but be realistic.
Yeah, I'm not shooting for some big name academic place. I'd be perfectly fine I think at just about any decent community program. My plan is to apply to both AOA and DO- friendly community ACGME programs in DO-friendly regions.

zafonte86

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2015
As long as you aren't a weirdo you will match. Apply broadly and do your audition rotations places you are interested. I ended up matching my first choice ACGME because I made such a good impression on the chief resident. My board scores weren't great but in pediatrics work ethic and personality can go a long way. Best of luck!

Reactions: joetrue
OP
J

joetrue

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Any suggestions of places I might look at? I have a couple of auditions set up but obviously I'll need to apply much more broadly than just the places I'm auditioning at.

zafonte86

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2015
Decide what you want in a program. My first priority was going to a place with a children's hospital. My second priority was going somewhere that I fit in well with the residents and was mid sized. I went on FREIDA and looked all residencies that fit these descriptions and looked to see which places took DOs and didn't require the USMLE. I also applied to DO PEDs programs but ended up forgoing the DO match because I fell in love with a few MD places. For the most part, MD programs are very DO friendly. NY has a lot of programs (most are not children's hospitals though) that are very DO friendly. Florida also has a lot of DO friendly programs. It's a frustrating process but you will make it! Best of luck.

Jul 28, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Wondering what programs I should be applying to-
DO Student top 5% of class
step 1 usmle- 238
step 2 usmle- 249
volunteer experience
no real research
good peds personality or so I've been told by physicians i have worked with. Would love to go to a big name but figure that probably out of my reach so just wondering what programs I could get the best education at for these scores!

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
pedspedspeds, you will be fine almost anywhere you want. just go to freida and choose the biggest names that actually take DOs. Sprinkle in some mid tier and you will match.

as far as finding the program for you, it is really tough. what i was looking for changed after a few interviews so don't get too wrapped up in. There are pros to an academic program, there are pros to a community program. There are pros to both a big and a little program. There are pros to both a stand alone children's hospital and an incorporated one. you just have to determine which pros are more important to you.