Pediatrics/Family Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brian20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I am starting school in august. I was wondering if you could tell me if there is some sort of combine family practice/peds residency or do most people just do one or other combine programs programs? im confused on what programs are or can be combine programs. i know IM/peds and ER/peds can be combine, but why have i not seen anything about a combination family practice/peds residency???

any help would be much appreciated.

later

Members don't see this ad.

1) Why do you want to do FP/Peds?

2) You should know that FP are trained to treat children, adults, and obstetrics/gyn problems. I do not believe there is a fellowship in pediatrics after completing FP. You could schedule your FP electives to focus on pediatrics to get you extra exposure.

3)Current combined residencies (in your area of interest) are IM/EM, IM/FP, IM/Peds, Peds/ER.

4) Do IM/PEDS (4 years) if you do not want to do obstetrics. Its basically FP without OB and you are double board certified. However, most do not do fellowships in either IM or Peds subspecialties.

5) Do IM/FP if they have enough elective time for you to schedule more pediatrics electives.