Pedo advice please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thfairy

thfairy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting on the forum and would appreciate any advice on what my chances are for admission to Pedo Residency this year.

I've been working with a Pedo office for the past year and absolutely love all aspects of the specialty. I graduated w/ my DDS in '07, but unfortunately due to some "family issues" that presented during my 2nd/3rd year my stats suffered. I did complete a GPR, worked in private practice for 1 year (GP office), and feel as though I have JUST now found my real passion for the profession (working with the Pedo office 1yr). I would love nothing more to practice Pedo for the rest of my career but not sure how to improve my application...(thanks in advance for the advice!)

My stats::(
DDS '07
GPA: 3.15
Part I: 84
Part II:83
GPR
1yr GP office
1yr Pedo office
volunteer w/ give kids a smile, mobile clinics, community clinics

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are low like you already know, but there isn't anything you can do about it now, so don't worry about it. However, your work experience will help with some programs.

Everyone does the volunteer stuff. Yes, you still have to do it and its good for you, but it won't set you apart...

Be aware that some programs will look at work experience as a negative. You may ask why? We'll how would you like to be the attending with years of pedo experience and some new dentist steps in with a few years of experience and thinks that he/she knows it all. I'm not saying that would be your attitude, but it does happen. Probably more often than not would be my guess. So, what they like is fresh grads that don't know any other way. I guess I can't blame them.

My advice would be to apply, people could sit here all day and tell you why you wouldn't get in and if you apply you would get in. The exact opposite could happen too. So, focus on the stuff that you can do to boost your application and if it doesn't work out, there is always next year. Plus, you'll be a better dentist in the long run. After all, isn't that what it's all about anyways? Good luck!

Thanks for replying "pedosmakebank"! I beleive I read in a post that you were also a couple of years out of school before applying to Pedo...CONGRATULATIONS on getting accepted! :)
I definitely understand what you're saying about previous experience possibly being an issue with some programs. You're right in that I definitely by no means have a "know-it-all" type of personality...actually it's quite the opposite.

It would be great if you would let me know of other specific things I can do to strengthen my application besides the volunteer work I'm already involved with...If you don't mind me asking,can you tell me a little more about your personal experience with this "road from GP to Pedo" :)

I would so appreciate any help I could get!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make your interest known at your old dental school. See if you can observe/volunteer/teach at your old pedo program. Anything to show them your desire for the program. You will also learn alot about the program.

Sorry for getting back to you so late. Thanks for the congrats. Honestly though, I really didn't do anything special. I rocked boards and was at the top of my class , which, I'm sure helped a lot. Plus, I'm easy on the eyes :D. Sorry ladies, I'm taken so please no private messages...

As far as what you can do, I would take Huggies advice. Get involved with a pedo program if you can. Pop your head in and say hi and let them know that you truly are interested. It will make a world of difference. Otherwise, they will see you on your on your interview and be like, oh she was nice and thats about it. If you stop in, they will already know you and you will stick out in their mind. If you were to pick someone, wouldn't you want to pick someone who was really interested in your program and you knew they would be a good fit. I would. Matching is a crap shoot, just do your best and get your name out there. There are a lot of different paths people have taken to get there so there is no one good answer, but in general I think what I have mentioned will help.

Sorry for babbling on... I hope what I have said is coherent...

Thanks for replying "pedosmakebank"! I beleive I read in a post that you were also a couple of years out of school before applying to Pedo...CONGRATULATIONS on getting accepted! :)
I definitely understand what you're saying about previous experience possibly being an issue with some programs. You're right in that I definitely by no means have a "know-it-all" type of personality...actually it's quite the opposite.

It would be great if you would let me know of other specific things I can do to strengthen my application besides the volunteer work I'm already involved with...If you don't mind me asking,can you tell me a little more about your personal experience with this "road from GP to Pedo" :)

I would so appreciate any help I could get!