1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pedo applicant

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by PedoZ, Apr 5, 2007.

1. PedoZ

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi everybody
    I graduated last year,I want to apply for pedo this summer.I want to know what I have to do to strenghten my resume( working in pedo clinic,research,volunteer works,...).I'm wondering that working in pedo clinic is good or bad?I heard different things about it.
    Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cold Front

Cold Front Supreme Member
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think it depends on your academic profile. If you have good stats, then you don't have to worry too much about these EC's.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this too.

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think ECs are important to pedo applications, especially when it relates to how much pedo patient contact you've had. But having said that, working at a pedo mill (especially one where GPs are doing all the tx.) doesn't help your application.

5. Leokazumahyon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'll be starting D school this summer, and I have a strong interest in pedo. What do you suggest I be doing from the very start?

6. LonestarYankee

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i'll give you the "no-brain" answer: keep your grades/class rank high, do well on the nbde, and then evaluate your situation and "how competitive" your cv is at that point. in my opinion, research in d-school is totally unnecessary. pick a few schools you are interested in and (IMPORTANTLY!) do some externships which allow a little face time with the program director. it's absolutely true that pedo is a lot about personality, but good rank and scores will open up more doors. good luck.

7. Leokazumahyon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the advice.

I am not trying to be cheeky, but could I also have the "brain" answer as well?

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The "no-brain" answer is the only answer.

9. LonestarYankee

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    exactly. there is no magic formula. stick to the basics.

10. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Especially in pedo...???

11. PCAT_gal

2+ Year Member

What kinda scores are considered good? Is it as competitive as Ortho/OMFS? I know people who have low 80s on both part 1 and 2 and were called for interviews last year to several good programs. They did not have a great class rank and volunteered here and there - not really much. I wonder what they look for?:confused:

12. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Be a good person.

13. Blastingaway

Man,

so I got a pretty low rank but A average. Some EC stuff related to kids but I need to write the boards. I want to apply this summer. Does anyone have tips on 1) when I should start preparing 2) when I should write this exam 3)when do I apply?

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance :)

14. GivnKidsSmiles

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you know what you want to do start from the first day you get into dental school. Get 87-88 on boards part 1- stay in the top 15-20% of your class. Get involved with the Pedo club at your school, do externsips. And if you have a good additude and are friedly you will have interviews all over the place. Good scores and class rankopen doors, the interview is where they decide if your personality fits their program. Decide on if you like hospital or University based programs- check out both to see what they are like. Start the application cycle early, get your PASS application as early as you can because you will still be waiting for your profesors to write letters or reccomendation before PASS sends it out, know who you want to write your recommend (most programs want to hear from your Pedo director and at least another pedo clinical instructor) Double check all the supplement applications (every school will want different stuff- ie undergrad transcripts, dental school transcripts, application fees, extra letters of recommendation or that they are paper (not just PASS) So do your homework on each school you apply to. call each program to make sure they recieved everything they need and that your application is considered copmplete or they wont consider you for an interview. Hope that helps. Best of luck

15. Blastingaway

Thanks,

But I need to write the boards. I don't want to be tight with time when Im applying for these schools. When do you suggest I write the boards?
    Thanks again :)

16. Huggies

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Blastingaway,
    I'm applying next year too, I'm thinking of writing my boards in June, this way I'll get the results by July ready for august application. The thought of studying again, after being out for over 4yrs, gives me panic attacks, especially when I look at all the biochem pathways :eek: Good luck to you.

17. Blastingaway

Huggies,
    Thanks for the wishes. And I also wish you Good luck as well!
    Your idea sounds great, write in June, results in July, and apply. Where
    s a good site/place to learn about the PASS system?