Pedo Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first interview invite this morning via email. I had assumed most would be coming by snail mail...should I be checking my emails more closely?

In oct on a sunday I will get a tour of the medical facilities and then will go to a faculty member's house for dinner. What do you guys already in residencies feel about the formality of clothes? If I go straight from the tour to dinner do I go suit/tie?

Members don't see this ad.

DcS said:
I got my first interview invite this morning via email. I had assumed most would be coming by snail mail...should I be checking my emails more closely?

In oct on a sunday I will get a tour of the medical facilities and then will go to a faculty member's house for dinner. What do you guys already in residencies feel about the formality of clothes? If I go straight from the tour to dinner do I go suit/tie?

Congrats! For some reason my PMs aren't working so I'll answer in the forum.
The email isn't too unusual----Just don't email your thank you letters :D .

Definitely----suit if going from tour to dinner as most will be in same attire. First impressions obviously important. However, they may give you some more info on dinner. (ie casual)

You don't need any luck so I'll just say have fun and enjoy the experience----let me know how things go.

Talk soon,
Dr.B

I went through the OMFS interviews but my experience may still be applicable. I got about half through email and half through snail mail. A couple had their secretaries call me. I also got personal calls from 2 program directors which really surprised me. The first one looked like a telemarketer on my Caller-ID so I started to screw with him as usual, until I realized who it was. Bad form.

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
The first one looked like a telemarketer on my Caller-ID so I started to screw with him as usual, until I realized who it was. Bad form.
Did he at least remember you after that?

OMFSCardsFan said:
Did he at least remember you after that?
I don't know...I ended up not interviewing there. It was Buffalo.

griffin04 said:
omg, now I can totally see why you would think it was a telemarketer calling. :laugh:
Then you must know who called. I'll give you a hint...he has more degrees than a thermometer. Does he talk/act a certain way or something? I had a really good conversation with him.

Where did you get an interview at so soon? When did you send your PASS apps in and how long was the turn around for them to contact you? Good luck with the interview.
T 2006

Things at Temple are crazy this year. 11 of 119 of us are applying for pedo, past years it has been 2-3 at most. Weird how things work, and a handful of the applicants are in the top 20% and full of extracircular activites.

toofache32 said:
Then you must know who called. I'll give you a hint...he has more degrees than a thermometer. Does he talk/act a certain way or something? I had a really good conversation with him.

If it was an oral surgeon more degrees than a thermometer, then I think the potential for this surgeon to be confused with a telemarketer might be a little less than the one I had in mind. But I could still see it happening. Brilliant professor though, but the most random lectures I had in dental school. Old fashioned, pen & paper, scribble everything down while the professor lectures. No handouts, no power points, only an old slide projector with some clinical pictures of people blowing half their faces off. Made no sense to do the readings b/c there weren't any assigned, there wasn't even a designated text. I swear the grades were pulled out of mid-air, b/c there were always questions asked on exams that were never mentioned. I think the upside to the chaos was that no one failed.

Temple 2006 said:
Where did you get an interview at so soon? When did you send your PASS apps in and how long was the turn around for them to contact you? Good luck with the interview.
T 2006

Things at Temple are crazy this year. 11 of 119 of us are applying for pedo, past years it has been 2-3 at most. Weird how things work, and a handful of the applicants are in the top 20% and full of extracircular activites.

Congrats! You have just joined the "hoping to hear for interviews" club. And with that many classmates applying and talking, it will be apparent soon enough which programs have called their chosen ones, and who the reject candidates are.

Good luck to both of you. At least pedo values your personality when it comes to treating its patients.

Temple 2006 said:
T 2006

Temple, what are your stats. Feel free to reply in PM if you don't want to post it here.

Temple 2006 said:
T 2006

PASS app completed (last letter of rec finally sent in...) around 7/25, I think sent out to schools around 8/15.

I'd prefer not to say where the invite is, but it's one of the top hospital programs rep-wise according to our program director.

In our class there are also a lot of pedo people (around 10 of 78) unless there are some more closet gunners which is definitely possible. I guess it makes things a big more competitive but most of them are not applying to the same programs that I did.

ItsGavinC said:
Temple, what are your stats. Feel free to reply in PM if you don't want to post it here.

Since you asked....my stats are
3.58 GPA (18/117)
90 on NBDE
2 OKU Awards for writing
No research in dental school
Pres. of Restorative Honor Society and Pedo Group
A handful of volunteer things with kids
2 externships completed, 1 other in the works
Applying to 4 programs only.....many people have told me I am crazy and I am doing that due to some other situations that are in the works....if I don't get in this round, I am applying to 10-15 programs next time around.....We shall see what happens.

Anyone else care to divulge their stats?

T2006

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple 2006 said:
Since you asked....my stats are
3.58 GPA (18/117)
90 on NBDE
2 OKU Awards for writing
No research in dental school
Pres. of Restorative Honor Society and Pedo Group
A handful of volunteer things with kids
2 externships completed, 1 other in the works
Applying to 4 programs only.....many people have told me I am crazy and I am doing that due to some other situations that are in the works....if I don't get in this round, I am applying to 10-15 programs next time around.....We shall see what happens.

Anyone else care to divulge their stats?

T2006

My classmate had similar stats and CV as you. She got into her 2nd choice, but she applied to 15 or so spots.

You should apply to parkland peds program. From what I understand they dont do anything since all of the peds emergency are shuttled to OMFS! :confused:

I received an interview at Nova Southeastern last week. I'm the oldie in the group- graduated in 2000 and have been practicing general for 5 years.

I know someone who was notified of an interview from Temple 9/14. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting =( Generally, when is the latest that programs wil interview?

I too have one at Temple.

hey guys, can you post your stats? also what seems to be the cutoff for Pedo to get interviews this year (from observing your fellow pedo-wannabee classmates)

do you think a 94 NBDE1 and 25% class rank will land me any interviews?

ItsGavinC said:
Absolutely.

Actually, it depends on the program. Good board score, but some pedo programs really want top 10-20% applicants. It should get you an interview provided you didn't only apply to places that look hard at GPA/class rank.

An important element in Pedo that is more heavily stressed in applicants compared with other specialties (IMO at least) is actual experience in the specialty (treating kids in this case). Many programs I've heard really seek out and favor applicants who have a lot of hands on experience treating kids. Some programs take almost exclusively people who have been out of school at least a year. I think this is more important in pedo than in any other specialty. Treating kids in school can be a rosy experience and many programs want to make sure you understand what you are getting into.

For those still in the early years who aspire to be pedodontists, I highly suggest getting as much pedo experience as possible. Some programs will literally ask you the # of SSCs, pulpos, etc you have done on children. UNC is great because we have two month-long rotations in addition to numerous other extracurricular activities in the areas of our preference.

Pedo became a popular specialty of interest for the class of 2006 at UCSF as well. what used to be ~4 applicants/year became 12+.

I think the match rate for pedo will be interesting this year.

hey fellow pedo applicants~

i saw a pretty cool list on the ortho board that has an organized list of schools that have offered interview invites~ let's start one for pedo as well, then we can know when to start looking for that coveted letter in the mail/inbox. :D

please list: school, approx. when interview invite was sent, was it via email/snail mail/phone, how many days/which days of the week for the interview, and anything else that i have left out. good luck to everyone! :luck:

gathered from previous posts:

8/31: Cincinnati Children's via email--2 day interview (Sun/Mon)
9/14: SUNY Buffalo via snail mail--1 day interview (Fri or Sat) w/optional
dinner night b4
9/14: Temple via ________-- x day interview (xday)
9/19: Nova Southeastern via _______ -- x day interview (xday)
9/23: Tennessee via _______--x day interview (xday)
9/26: Univ. Michigan via phone--3 day interview (Sun/Mon/Tues)

please fill in the blanks and keep adding to the list~ :thumbup:

my idol 'wasabi' has re-surfaced... since the pre-dental school days... incredible. can you believe you're applying again?!

you da bomb :laugh:

haha...oh please stanford~ we all know YOU'RE the one to be idolized~ :p i'm still willing to bet $$ that you'll be a future dean to (enter prestigious dental school name)...when the day comes, you can hook it up and help my future kids get into dental school~ ;) haha...can't believe we met via sdn during the pre-dental days...and we're still posting 4 yrs later! :) now stop procrastinating on sdn and go study for your boards! ;)

-wasabi

Nova Southeastern- via snail mail- interview on a Friday in October.
Tennessee is out? First I've heard of that.

yup, apparently tennessee has given invites...check for a phone call! :luck:

updated as of 9/27:

dinner night b4
9/14: Temple via ________-- x day interview (xday)
9/19: Nova Southeastern via snail mail -- Friday interview (1 day)
9/23: Tennessee via phone--Friday interview (2 day) with dinner b4 and dinner after

please copy and paste the list each time you add something new. then we don't need to keep referring back to old posts :)

updated as of 9/29::

dinner night b4
9/14: Temple via phone-- 1 day interview (Wednesday)
9/23: Tennessee via phone--Friday interview (2 day) with dinner b4 and dinner after

Updated today (9/30) to reflect an interview call I just received (upenn/chop)

dinner night b4
9/30: UPENN/CHOP via phone--1 day interview (Friday)

ooh nice! congrats~ do you know if there's a dinner with the residents the night before the interview for UPenn?

-wasabi

DcS said:
Updated today (9/30) to reflect an interview call I just received (upenn/chop)

dinner night b4

wasabi007 said:
ooh nice! congrats~ do you know if there's a dinner with the residents the night before the interview for UPenn?

-wasabi

For those leaving on Saturday there is a "bar crawl" Friday night. PM me if you get a chance...are you going to the upenn interview?

hi dcs,

your pm box was full...so i'll just reply this way (sorry to the rest of the gang for cluttering up the forum with personal chitchat). i got the vm from penn today too. but have not called back to confirm b/c i need to find someone to cover for me at school if i plan to take off on thurs. however, since there seems to be no dinner the night b4, i might just be able to fly in to phl on thurs night after clinic~

fri pub crawl sounds like fun...but i will be staying with my relatives in hatboro...so i'm not sure if they would want to pick up a tipsy niece in the wee hours of the night~ :laugh: thus, i might have to pass on that one~ too bad!

looks like we'll be seeing each other at a lot of interviews! :) pm me when you clear your inbox~

-wasabi :D

DcS said:
For those leaving on Saturday there is a "bar crawl" Friday night. PM me if you get a chance...are you going to the upenn interview?

Updated today (10/7) to reflect an interview my classmate got...I didn't apply

dinner night b4
9/30: UPENN/CHOP via phone--1 day interview (Friday)[/QUOTE]
~10/6: San Antonio-no other info known

I got my first invite today. San Antonio, nov 21st.
Some of the programs I called to confirm the status of my application told me they just recently received my application. I guess Pass takes their sweet time getting our applications out.

My friend is a Peds resident at Ohio. He said last year there were 90 applicants and this year the number jumped to 140.

Does anyone the number of applicants to positions available at the various pedo programs? Last year I nearly spent a grand on a last minute pedo interview only to find out I was competing against 25 people for one spot. I don't want to be in that boat again.

Demeter said:
My friend is a Peds resident at Ohio. He said last year there were 90 applicants and this year the number jumped to 140.

Does anyone the number of applicants to positions available at the various pedo programs? Last year I nearly spent a grand on a last minute pedo interview only to find out I was competing against 25 people for one spot. I don't want to be in that boat again.

Does your friend like it there? Since you said Ohio I am assuming you mean OSU/Columbus. How has he liked it so far??

For the number of pedo applicants to positions check out the aapd website i think they have it for each specific program but don't think it's up to date.

University of Rochester

dinner night b4
~10/6: San Antonio-no other info known
10/5:University of Rochester via phone -- 1 day interview Oct. 31 Nov.7, 21,or 28

maaan~ sdn has been down forever it seemed! :p

Update as of 10/9/05:

dinner night b4
~10/3: UIC via ? -- ___ day interview (xday)
10/4: UTHSCSA via phone--1 day interview (11/18, 11/21) optional dinner night b4
10/5:University of Rochester via phone -- 1 day interview Oct. 31 Nov.7, 21,or 28

in terms of the match ratio list according to school/program on aapd, i too was relying on that b4 a pedo resident told me it was very outdated~ :(

-wasabi

University of Washington called today.

dinner night b4
10/4: UTHSCSA via phone--1 day interview (11/18, 11/21) optional dinner night b4
10/10: Univ. Washington via phone - 11/17 or 12/1 w/ dinner night before

Email from Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and phone call from OSU Columbus Children's Hospital today.

dinner night b4
10/10: Univ. Washington via phone - 11/17 or 12/1 w/ dinner night before[/QUOTE]
10/13: Child Hosp of Wisconsin-email, multiple interview dates, thurs/fridays
10/13: OSU-Columbus Children's Hospital via phone-11/14 or 12/10

DcS said:
Email from Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and phone call from OSU Columbus Children's Hospital today.

dinner night b4
10/10: Univ. Washington via phone - 11/17 or 12/1 w/ dinner night before[/QUOTE]
10/13: OSU-Columbus Children's Hospital via phone-11/14 or 12/10[/QUOTE]
10/17- MUSC via phone

Updating to add DC:

dinner night b4
10/17: MUSC by phone
10/17: Children's National Medical Center (DC) by snail mail, 4 dates to choose from

I got an invite at NYU. ANyone else going there for a PEDS interview?

I'm going to NYU =)

dinner night b4
10/17: Children's National Medical Center (DC) by snail mail, 4 dates to choose from
10/17: NYU via email- 1 day interview- 3 dates to choose from

dinner night b4
10/18: Minnesota via phone
10/19: Nebraska via phone

dinner night b4
10/19: Indiana via e-mail, November 10 & 11
????: Baylor, via ????
???? Children's Memorial Chicago, via ????

what type of stats are needed to get into pedo? At this point in my dental education, I have realized that I would like to further my studies in pediatric dentistry. I wish I would have came to this realization before I started dental school, so that I would have gave a little more effort in my grades. My stats are as follows:

-3.33 (bottom half of the class)
-85 NBDE 1.
-sufficient amounts of experience, extracurriculars, volunteer work.

I am determined to become a pediatric dentist. To me, it doesn't matter where I go as long as I reach my goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adding UMKC... :)

dinner night b4
10/19: Indiana via e-mail, November 10 & 11
????: Baylor, via ????
???? Children's Memorial Chicago, via ????
10/21: UMKC via email, 11/15, optional dinner night before

-wasabi :thumbup:

any info on LSU Peds??

are they interviewing through phone or in person?

Did anyone apply to Univ of Alambama or Univ of Mississippi for pedo?

deedds