Pedo Match stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have access to information regarding pedo match stats and how many match to their #1, #2, #3, etc. choices?

I'm trying to figure out how many schools one has to rank to have solid shot at matching. A resident I know said he did some research that showed if you rank 4 programs you'll have a 75% chance of matching, and ranking 5 programs puts you at 95+%. Seems like it depends on the programs you rank, obviously a program with 8 seats is going to give you a better shot than a program with 2 seats.

So what's the consensus on the magic number needed to match into pedo?

Members don't see this ad.

Gavin,

Just look at the stats from the match last year for Peds. I am not a Peds guy, but I can look at the numbers and interpet them.

410 applied to strictly Pedo

242 matched

156 matched at their first choice - 64% of those matched, 38% of total apps

47 matched at their second choice - 84% of those who matched received first or 2nd choice, almost 50% of total

19 matched at their third choice - 92% matched third choice or better, 54% of total apps

5 matched at 4th choice - 94% matched 4th choice or better, 55% total apps

8 matched 5th choice - 97% matched 5th choice or better, 57% total apps matched

7 matched 6 or higher - 100% matched somewhere 6th choice or beyond, 59% of all those who applied and submitted rank lists matched.

I think more than 410 people applied to Pedo last year. I heard that more than 150 applied to Ohio last year and more than 200 applied to San Antonio.
Applicant numbers increase dramatically compared to the prior year. Pedo applicants across the board have increased again this year. I would rank every program you interview at, unless you think it's just horrible. Losing a year in the hope that you get into your #1 vs #5 school down the road just does not make any sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think more than 410 people applied to Pedo last year. I heard that more than 150 applied to Ohio last year and more than 200 applied to San Antonio.
Applicant numbers increase dramatically compared to the prior year. Pedo applicants across the board have increased again this year. I would rank every program you interview at, unless you think it's just horrible. Losing a year in the hope that you get into your #1 vs #5 school down the road just does not make any sense.

410 is the number of applicants who submitted match lists. You only submit a match list if you get at least 1 interview, so the actual number of applicants to Pedo might be much higher if you consider there are applicants who are getting zero interviews and therefore not entering match. If 150 applied to Ohio and 200 to San Antonio, it's possible that over 100 of the people in both groups applied to both programs so the numbers from the match site aren't too far off. 410 submitting a match list sounds about right since OMS and Ortho get somewhere between 400 and 500 submitting match lists.

Actually, the match site also showed the increase in pedo applicants too. I don't remember exactly how many more there were but the trend was up. Looks like they took the stats down until the new results come out.

I don't think there is any number of interviews you can rank to up your odds. You can rank 10 programs on your list, but if those 10 places have you dead last on their lists or don't even rank you, then you may end up out of luck on match day despite the large number of programs that were on your list. And then you will have the people who will enter only 1 program on their list and match, so who knows.

410 is the number of applicants who submitted match lists.

Okay, so 410 submitted rank lists, and 242 of those matched. That leaves 168 applicants that interviewed at least at one program, but didn't match anywhere. That is the part that scares the hell out of me. I wish we could decipher how many programs those 168 ranked on average.

The good part I suppose is that if one is going to pedo match, then there is roughly an 85% chance that you'll match to your first or second choice.

do stats on what type of applicants get accepted across get posted anywhere?? like the mean of boards, gpa, etc... in a specific speciality?

I would rank every program you interview at, unless you think it's just horrible. Losing a year in the hope that you get into your #1 vs #5 school down the road just does not make any sense.

I agree, and for me it's not a #1 vs #5 issue necessarily, it's just a matching issue. Especially in light of the fact that 41% of those that interviewed last year didn't match anywhere. I'll be happier if I go to my #1, but I'll still be very happy to attend one towards the bottom of the list.

Okay, so 410 submitted rank lists, and 242 of those matched. That leaves 168 applicants that interviewed at least at one program, but didn't match anywhere. That is the part that scares the hell out of me. I wish we could decipher how many programs those 168 ranked on average.

I think this stat is published with the others that Squished Rat gave. Maybe he or she can post it for us. It's listed as "Average number of ranks per applicant." If I recall, the number for ortho was like something between 4 and 5 (I threw out all the match stats before I moved in an attempt to get rid of bad karma ;) .)

I think this stat is published with the others that Squished Rat gave. Maybe he or she can post it for us. It's listed as "Average number of ranks per applicant." If I recall, the number for ortho was like something between 4 and 5 (I threw out all the match stats before I moved in an attempt to get rid of bad karma ;) .)

Awesome. So, Squished Rat, please post the average # of programs ranked (and the breakdown of that average number for those that matched and those that didn't, if available).

Like I said, I'd look at all of this myself but I think the info is gone from the match website now.

EDIT: I found the information (http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/aplstats.htm)

It's not so much that there is a magic number. it is just that usually applicants with a larger number of interviews have stronger applications on paper, and therefore more likely to match somewhere as long as they have a personality to go with it. So obviously more interviews makes you feel all warm and cozy inside, but you only need one school that likes you. This is the same for every match specialty.

I do not think you can accurately guage average gpa or board scores, as I know different programs in the same general area have vastly different admission criteria. Some programs will only admit PGY 1 applicants, others actively look for PGY 2's who have done a GPR. The program director for a pedo residency shares an office with me (GPR director) and I know that the criteria here is tremendously individual, with no two residents exactly the same. As with most specialty residencies, getting in is the ultimate goal, finishing the next, and anything you think you didn't get in residency is surely available as CE (required anyway) later on. Amazingly, I have heard some really bad interviews. This is your chance to make your case for admission, and put your best foot forward. Most program directors are pretty nice people. Positive attitude, neat appearance, all work.
I would rank any program that interviews you, and hope for the best. I know that some applicants that were interviewed here were not ranked at all.
Obviously that goes on elsewhere. The reality is that some qualified applicants will be overlooked, and some less qualified will get in due to personal qualifications that no one ever knows. Some programs promote from within (GPR's who apply to Pedo), and have the advantage of being a known quantity by the administration. Keep in mind that one intangible attribute is the "team player/maturity/positive attitude factor that many directors are seeking. They will have to deal with you for two years, and the worst thing is to have unhappy, disgruntled residents who not only don't get along with eachother, but with the faculty as well. How do you portray a happy camper? Good question.

Can you give us some examples of the "bad interview" things you have seen? I have actually finished all my interviews except one, but maybe I can avoid such a mistake at my very last one...