pedo pass app and research Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kew82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

i have a question about my research project for improving my pedo application. I am a D3 currently doing a research project with a pedo faculty member at my school, however, i read a recent thread about pedo residencies that said that "survey research" during pedo residency is discouraged. Now i find this out! i am a D3, and i am writing up my article for publication. Does this mean my research project will not benefit my pedo application since as a resident this type of work is frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

i have a question about my research project for improving my pedo application. I am a D3 currently doing a research project with a pedo faculty member at my school, however, i read a recent thread about pedo residencies that said that "survey research" during pedo residency is discouraged. Now i find this out! i am a D3, and i am writing up my article for publication. Does this mean my research project will not benefit my pedo application since as a resident this type of work is frowned upon?

Who cares do it bc ya enjoy it dagone

No, you should include it in your application because 1) it shows you have an interest in pediatric dentistry and 2) it shows you have some background in research.
I believe what you may be referring to is that all pediatric programs require a research project as part of the certificate in pediatric dentistry and many are trying to get away from just sending out surveys to fulfill the requirement. Just when you're in your pediatric program try to find a more substantial project to contribute the the body of knowledge :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm reiterating a lot of what DGDDS said already...

In applying to pediatric residencies, I do not think most will care what your specific research project entailed -- they will probably like that it was pedo-related but honestly is not the most important aspect of your application. I did research, and mine was a clinical project, but even still it only got brought up at only 1 or 2 interviews of the 10 I went to. The difference between us though is that I did not get a publication out of my project (although in hindsight I probably could have). Could it have helped me get interviews, maybe, I will never know. Of the 6 of us from my class who matched to pedo only 2 of us did research and I do believe my friend's was a chart-review type project, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Definitely list your research and any abstracts or publications. Heck, I even listed my undergrad research on crab genes (but only on my CV, not my PASS application).

I'm reiterating a lot of what DGDDS said already...

In applying to pediatric residencies, I do not think most will care what your specific research project entailed -- they will probably like that it was pedo-related but honestly is not the most important aspect of your application. I did research, and mine was a clinical project, but even still it only got brought up at only 1 or 2 interviews of the 10 I went to. The difference between us though is that I did not get a publication out of my project (although in hindsight I probably could have). Could it have helped me get interviews, maybe, I will never know. Of the 6 of us from my class who matched to pedo only 2 of us did research and I do believe my friend's was a chart-review type project, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Definitely list your research and any abstracts or publications. Heck, I even listed my undergrad research on crab genes (but only on my CV, not my PASS application).

That is indeed helpful . Thank you.