Pedo post-match???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedo82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone..this is my first time using SDN ever...though i have heard really good things about this site...so please dont let me down...I am doing my GPR in Newyork and want to apply for pedo
I am a little late for the application now...so was thinking to get in Post match...
My stats are not very good
Part I: 80
Class Rank: Middle somewhere
GPA: 3.45
Currently doing GPR, with lots of peds experience...some research...ASDA Rep in dental school..Anesthesia internship during dental school for 14 months..

Any help with post match...how do you apply and if i should be ready with anything ahead of time...
Please help...
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I just looked at the PASS program search engine and there are 7 programs that have deadlines with dates that are November or later. If you can get every thing together quick there are another 8 or so programs with a deadline of 10/19.

IMHO if you want to get into a program this upcoming year I would try to get an application in quick and see what happens. I really don't think you will have much luck if you don't apply and wait to see if you can get a spot that doesn't match.

I also think that if you don't match you will be more likely to get into an unmatched spot if you have your application out there before match. The programs with unmatched spots will want you to have PASS send them your app anyway so you might as well see if you can get it in now.

Correct. Programs with unfilled positions will then go first to the stack of applications they already have as opposed to waiting around for new material. It is also not an easy matter to get all of the recs and transcripts sent in a hurry to the very few programs which will have slots. As an aside, the program at my facility already has over 140 applications for 4 positions. I would say that this will be a competitive year. I would not put my eggs in the post match basket.

There are other factors involved in the post match as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already submitted my ranking. Now that I am sitting and waiting, I have this sad idea that I should order extra transcript, recommendation letters, exam scores, etc. just in case I don't match.

If there's any unmatched program, wouldn't they pick someone who they already interviewed? Or do I need to start gathering documents now?

I already submitted my ranking. Now that I am sitting and waiting, I have this sad idea that I should order extra transcript, recommendation letters, exam scores, etc. just in case I don't match.

If there's any unmatched program, wouldn't they pick someone who they already interviewed? Or do I need to start gathering documents now?

Not so sure about your last statement - if they interviewed you, have an unmatched position AND you didn't match anywhere, that means that program did not even put you ANYWHERE on their rank list for some reason or another. My guess is that some of those programs would rather have a few new applicants to choose from because they weren't pleased with those they interviewed. Hopefully you won't have to worry about any of this though! Good luck!

Hi utahdentist2be,

If a person was interviewed and left unmatched, that doesn't mean that the program doesn't like that person. The program called him for an interview as they liked him. And, probably he was not matched as he was not the best. That person gets a priority for postmatch when compared to a person who was not called for an interview. Many program directors told me that they consider candidates who were interviewed for postmatch.

I understand that, and my statement was by no means meant to be a "cover-all." I was merely implying that if someone interviewed for a program and then was not included on that program's ranking list at all, which would be the case if both the program had an unmatched position AND the applicant did not match there (assuming they had ranked the program), then there must have been a reason. Logic would say that someone really botched an interview or made a bad impression to not even be ranked last on the list by a program, but just left off altogether. Nevertheless, I'm sure some programs may reconsider an interviewee post-match, but some also would probably prefer to see some new faces and have a few more options. No offense intended, just making an observation.

It's a lot easier for the programs to fill a post-match position due to the difficulty of 1) waiting for applicant information 2) scheduling more interviews 3) getting the admissions committee back together. It is a headache day when you get an unfilled position. I think the interviewed applicants have a better chance of getting a post-match position. Good luck!!!