Pedo programs and application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiTide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to pedo residency programs this summer and have a few questions that I hope y'all can help with:

1) Even if most info is available about a particular program on the AAPD website or on the program website, should I try to personally contact program directors to send additional info at the programs where I am interested?

2) Is applying early an important consideration?

3) Words of advice about any of these programs or additional recommendations?? I have no geographic limits and am willing to take on additional debt if needed. Preference for a strong clinical program. I would obviously prefer programs where I have a realistic shot (part 1 boards=87, GPA 3.1, middle of class in rank, lots of extracurriculars):
a) Tufts
b) SUNY
c) Eastman Dental Center in Rochester
d) USC
e) New Jersey
f) Temple
g) VCU
h) Maryland
i) Pittsburgh Children's Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

i'd add Cincinatti and Milwaukee to that list. However, they are more competitive programs.

two of my acquaintances went to USC and liked it. but it's expensive.

also, it's not too late to do an externship.

No need to ask for additional info...the few times I did, they sent me the printout from the appd website :D

Members don't see this ad :)
would we need to have a California state dental license to apply to the schools in CA for residency programs?

no, except for San Diego. i assume you're referring only to pedo programs.

would we need to have a California state dental license to apply to the schools in CA for residency programs?

Thank you Jone. Yes I did mean Pedo programs only. That opens up the application field a bit. :D

It sounds as though you really want to match, but with an 87 and middle rank in the class, you're going to have to apply to quite a few more schools. The list you posted is at 9, I'd double that to get a maximum return on your investment. Spend the extra money up front to apply to more schools and then pick and choose interviews if you happen to get 10+. If you don't get a boatload, you'll at least be happy you had the foresight to apply to more programs.

Thanks so much for the replies and advice!:) For applying to pedo residency, do I need to be worried about applying early, or if my application is completed by say September would that likely effect my chances of an interview? Also, what is the deal with New York programs? I hear they are very different that most programs elsewhere but I don't really know what that means. Anyone able to elaborate?

You will have a decent chance at some NY hospital based programs if you are interested. Lots of clinical experience and OR.

Hi everyone - I'm also interested in Pedo programs and will be applying this summer (GPA - 3.7, Part I - 95, Rank - top 15%). I'm really interested in the Children's Hosp Boston/Harvard program. Is anyone familiar with it? I would appreciate feedback on the Buffalo, Rochester, Chicago and DC programs if anyone is familiar. Also, I was curious if anyone has a suggestion as to how many programs I should apply. I have decent stats but who knows - I feel like some part of it is luck and the applicant pool. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone - I'm also interested in Pedo programs and will be applying this summer (GPA - 3.7, Part I - 95, Rank - top 15%). I'm really interested in the Children's Hosp Boston/Harvard program. Is anyone familiar with it? I would appreciate feedback on the Buffalo, Rochester, Chicago and DC programs if anyone is familiar. Also, I was curious if anyone has a suggestion as to how many programs I should apply. I have decent stats but who knows - I feel like some part of it is luck and the applicant pool. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I'd apply to about 7-8, I did with similar stats. I interviewed at Harvard, heavy emphasis on research, get lots of ortho, unfortunately the clinic is very old, most of the residents there ranked it lower on their lists at the time. If you are a member at dentaltown, or can become one, I know a poster there who is a 2nd year resident at harvard and is a great guy. I could get you his username and you can PM him... i'm sure he'd be candid with you. PM me if interested.

obviously, apply to as many as you can, but if you aren't willing to go to a certain city or program, don't bother. I know people with amazing stats who applied to numerous programs and the numbers just didn't fall in place. I also know people with good stats, applied to 1 program and either were amazing interviews or had some kind of hook up and got in.

The match is a pain. I have been on both sides of the result. If you make your top choices know how serious you are, you can boost your chances.