Pedophilia in the DSM V

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That article is a over a year old and Pedophilia was kept in the DSM for its 5th revision. Name changed to "Pedophillic Disorder."

Certainly controversial if they were to do it (though I don't think they are?). There is plenty of good discussion to be had on the topic and I think there is merit to both sides. However the article is quite clearly trash and contributes nothing to that discussion. I'd have to dig into the literature a bit to know the exact rationale for its removal and likely ramifications, but I certainly don't trust anything from that article.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thoroughly confused my this article's claims. How would removing pedophilia from the DSM decriminalize child molestation? If anything, wouldn't it reduce the probability of a successful insanity plea? Most criminal acts aren't in the DSM; it doesn't stop them form being prosecuted.

For the record, I'm aware that defendants who successfully use an insanity defense don't get away scott free anyway.

I'm thoroughly confused my this article's claims. How would removing pedophilia from the DSM decriminalize child molestation? If anything, wouldn't it reduce the probability of a successful insanity plea? Most criminal acts aren't in the DSM; it doesn't stop them form being prosecuted.

For the record, I'm aware that defendants who successfully use an insanity defense don't get away scott free anyway.

That was my take too - Homosexuality was removed from the DSM in the 70's, but sodomy laws weren't 'officially' taken off the books until Lawrence v. Texas in '02

DSM dx does not equal criminal charge.