Craigielawson

2+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2015
I'll make this as quick as I can.

I'm a 3rd year DO student. Some days, I am wholeheartedly convinced what I want to do. The next, I regret that choice. I got into medicine so I could do pediatric cardiology...born with congenital issues...wanted to give back to medicine and connect with patients. I LOVE the (patho)physiology of Peds Cards. However, I just don't see myself lighting up whenever I converse with a kid; I would absolutely hate being a general pediatrician if i couldn't get into pediatrics. I could care less about milestones or random rashes.

As for adult cardiology, I would also hate doing internal medicine for the 3 years (and as a DO, it's a bit harder to be an adult cardiologist). Plus, I don't really want to go back to being blue in the face because of how many times I have to tell people to stop smoking or lose weight. As for the general stuff, everything about the word "refer" just irritates me to no end. I've quickly realized I hate knowing a little about everything in medicine and I need to be an expert in a field. Needless to say, I am a week into my internal medicine rotation and I am bored out of my mind. Not to mention, I cannot stand patients with problems like "low back pain." Thus, if I weren't to get a fellowship in either IM or Peds, I don't think I would be very happy with life.

But anyway, I thought about it and felt as though anesthesia might be the answer (wouldn't do pain medicine, naturally). I could be an expert in a field, I could do a fellowship in pediatrics and cardiothoracic, I would be happy with general anesthesia if I didn't do a fellowship and I would not have to deal with patients that don't really have issues. I even love pharmacology and physiology; they are the only subjects that I can care to study for on a generalized level than just studying the heart. It seems like the best fit, but I'll be honest, I loved the clinical/office aspect of my family medicine rotation, more than I like being in the hospital wards. Moreover, when I was younger and shadowed peds cards clinic in the hospital, I loved every second of it. I loved that patient interaction; I know anesthesia has some and especially in very intense moments which is awesome, but it seemed like patients and their parents loved the familiarity of their physician and I appreciated that aspect as well. Not to mention, I don't know how well I'd get along with CRNA's and the uncertainty of the field of anesthesia isn't the greatest right now.

Basically, I'm confused. I put Neurology in this forum because every personality test I take says i should become a neurologist. Every single one of them. I love the brain and even did research with the neuroscience professor...it's just not the heart...and if someone could convince me of this field, I'd be willing to listen.

Other considerations:
-I don't mind 6-7 years of training post grad
-I know medicine is a time-consuming lifestyle. I am okay with that as long as I had something I was happy with and could still enjoy my family a decent amount. Basically, I don't expect to be a dermatologist, but at the same time, I don't want to be worked as much as ortho resident when I am an attending...Somewhere in between is fine with me.
-I don't need the 300,000+ paycheck; I just want enough to pay off my loans, be able to live comfortably, enjoy my dogs, and see family/go on vacations whenever I can.
-Good board scores; did very well in pre-clinical years.

Any thoughts???

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
Personality test says neuro? Which tests are you talking about?

Anesthesiology seems really cool to me as well but that field seems to be dying a gruesome death. Just read a few posts from @FFP and @BLADEMDA and @Consigliere ... LOL

OP
C

Craigielawson

2+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2015
Yes; sdn specialty test, Myers Briggs personality correlation with specialty, and the Virginia one. Every single one said neuro at the top of my list.

And I've done my fair share of reading about anesthesia. It scares me a bit.