melovet

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Georgia
Status
Hey y'all,

I'm trying to start figuring out where I want to apply for residency/deciding whether I would like to do an away rotation. I know there's not any resource that lists Step 1 averages of each individual residency program, but I was wondering if y'all know a general "what is competitive for peds" Step 1 Score. I'm looking at a wide range of programs from Vanderbilt to MCG and just wanted any insight regarding the different programs as opposed to just the national Step 1 average. Any info/advice would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just search for the "Charting Outcomes in the Match." You should get a sense of what the mean scores are. If you score over 240 on Step 1, you're going to get an interview most places I'm guessing.

I would guess a 230+, an honors in peds, and a couple of other pertinent positives in your portfolio would give you the same opportunities.

NAGNAM

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
240+ for peds? This is vintage SDN.

JacobSilge

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
240+ for peds? This is vintage SDN.
He did say "most places." 240+ is probably about right for places like CHOP or Boston Children's if you don't have anything else standing out on your application.

Dec 9, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
He did say "most places." 240+ is probably about right for places like CHOP or Boston Children's if you don't have anything else standing out on your application.
Yeah, I'm totally talking out of my backside. I have no idea what's competitive in peds. But no one else was answering the question. I'm sure any above average score on the Step gets you in most doors.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Peds is one of the less competitive specialties. What that means is that to become a pediatrician, you just need a passing score on the USMLE, and you will be able to go somewhere. For very competitive programs, you will need above average scores.

Johnny_D

Just strummin' away
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It completely depends on which program you are applying. A program like CHOP will be competitive and will have higher scores than some other university or community-based programs. There is no "one" score. But, peds is considered to be a less competitive specialty.

DarknightX

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Just search for the "Charting Outcomes in the Match." You should get a sense of what the mean scores are. If you score over 240 on Step 1, you're going to get an interview most places I'm guessing.

I would guess a 230+, an honors in peds, and a couple of other pertinent positives in your portfolio would give you the same opportunities.
Is this a joke? So what do you have to do to match for Derm or Rads?

tulane06

Private Joker
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A 186 will probably get you in somewhere as long as you make it clear that you really want to be a pediatrician.