1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Peds Emergency Medicine

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by JANPLME, May 8, 2000.

1. JANPLME

JANPLME Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm really interested doing Pediatric Emergency medicine. Does anyone know what the route is? I'm really interested in Peds, so would I do a Ped's residency then a Peds EM fellowship, or is there some other way?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rockndoc

Rockndoc Member
    10+ Year Member

I looked into that about a year ago, and from what I remember, there were three options.
    1: Peds residency then EM fellowship
    2: EM residency then Peds fellowship
    3: Combined Peds/EM residency

* Back then there were only 4 programs that offered the combined residency with only 1 or 2 spots per program. (i.e. probably very hard to get in)

*If I remember correctly, the disadvantage of doing Peds first and then an EM fellowship is that it takes a full 6 years to complete. It only takes 5 years if you go with either of the other 2 options.

Good Luck

4. Rockndoc

Rockndoc Member
    10+ Year Member

I should also note that this info only applies to allopathic residency. I don't know much about the osteopathic programs. Maybe one of the DO's could shed some light on that.

5. zilberman

zilberman Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i worked at peds Er in NJ (St. Josephs) and i was told by the chief that peds ER is very competitive, i think that last year, there were 4 job openings in the country for peds ER, this may not be the best way to start your carrer

6. ptbear1970

ptbear1970 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Would you say EM residencies are easier to come by than peds Em, and how about the job opportunities afterward?

7. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i think you would be more marketable going EM and then adding on the peds, you could sell yourself as either EM or peds/EM that way...just a random thought. certainly there are still job opportunities in em.

8. HW

HW Junior Member

RockNDoc: As recent DO graduate going into pediatrics, I can tell you that the entire pediatric field, much less a subspeciatly like pedi EM is virtually non-existent in the post-grad DO world.
    There are a handfull of osteopathic pediatric resdiencies, and I'm not sure how much they actually fill. Everyone I know graduating from a DO school going into peds is going into an allopathic residency.

And as far as Pedi EM job opportunities. They are scarce. Most EM physicians in children's hospitals are not fellowship trained. Although the trend is shifting and the field is growing, by the time all of us actually finished a dual program or residency + fellowship...who knows what the job market would be?

------------------
    hw

9. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman Member
    10+ Year Member

Just some info,

At the medical college of wisconsin, in Childrens Hospital ER there is a pediatric EM physician (DO). She completed her peds/em fellowship here. It is open but like most things in life you must work for it. Anything is possable, it just depends on your determination.

10. Detroit Rock City

10+ Year Member

Having matched in ER this year there are some things you need to know.
    1 ER is not easy to get.
    2 Peds is easy to get.
    After saying all that, if you want to do Peds/ER go ER first and then do the peds fellowship. As for the job situation, I interviewed at many ER programs and each one had at least one ER/Peds boarded physician. They cant teach you peds/ER if the are not boarded in Peds/ER. That is straight out of the old residency rule book, and it is the reason that most ER residencies turf their residents to another hospital for their peds/ER training. The peds fellowship is not too tough to get and yes, there is a market for you when you are done!
    Good luck and good hunting

11. spunkydoc

spunkydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

jan--

i thought i wanted to go this route and did some major researching..

rockndoc is right about the paths..

if you are a DO, the only DO combined program is at chicago college of osteopathic medicine..it is good b/c it is totally through University of Illinois at Chicago--an allopathic program..it is bad in that I feel the peds department at CCOM is fairly week, it is breaking up b/c many of the faculty are leaving, and there is not a big census when you have to do things at the core CCOM hospital..but the training at UIC is through their hospitals, including Christ which is just an incredible training program.

keep in mind that if you are doing a combined, you cannot moonlight until basically you are finished b/c you cannot sit for the boards at the end of your 2nd/3rd yr b/c you will be on an alternating schedule.

also keep in mind that these fellowships are competative and are few and far between.

if ER is what you are really interested in, and peds is a big interest but you don;t see yourself spending the rest of your life in an office peds setting at any time, just go straight ER.. in a county setting in particular, you are going to see wads of peds..

good luck!