1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Peds gas fellows...what's the market like?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by invitro, Mar 5, 2007.

1. invitro

invitro Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey...will start my CA1 in July. Did a gas elective during intern year, enjoyed the peds cases....stressful, but more gratifying.

Ethermd has got me a little worried....it seems from his point of view all peds attgs will be replaced by CRNAs in the next 10-15 years. Apparently only pain and critical care attgs are safe. :(

Just wanted to see what the fellows graduating this year, or CA3s starting in July feel about that? Are job opportunities readily available? Is it true you take a pretty bad paycut by staying in peds?

Can you do 100% peds?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EtherMD

EtherMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

Attending Physician
    Wait a minute. If you do Pediatrics there will be a job for you. You will be in demand because so few Residents choose this area. But, you will be supervising Mid-Levels in the future because of Universal Health Care and Economics. Relax, there will be plenty of academic jobs available and some private practice ones as well.

If you want to AVOID the Mid-Levels doing some of your cases then you need Critical Care or Pain Management as they will remain Physician based.
    Choose the area you like best. After all , it isn't all about the money.

4. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I think this depends on the market. When I worked in Peds GI we did all our cases with general anesthesia and I never saw a CRNA (granted there aren't a lot in our market). This is probably one of the more resistant parts of anesthesia (at least in my area).

David Carpenter, PA-C