Peds gas fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apellous

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on good programs other than the obvious CHOP, Harvard, etc.

anyone have info on Yale, USC, OSU,Stanford, Emory, Michigan, vandi.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Be sure and check out Arkansas Children's Hosp / Univ of Arkansas peds anesth fellowship. Can't say too much about their gas residency, but their peds gas program is awesome. Last I heard, they were also developing a pediatric cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship there too.

Our fellows are pretty happy. weekends off and it seems to me like they have good hours. not really sure if they get enough interesting cases. but they're happy....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I would love to here from people at other programs. I am going to be applying next year and I dont want to waste a lot of time and money traveling to interview.

Thanks

For what it's worth...I've heard that the Cincinnati program is a really good one but I've also heard that they tend to inbreed as well...

Children's Memorial in Chicago is top notch. Dr. Hall is a helluva guy.

how competitive are peds fellowships?

I ask this only because it seems that pain fellowships are becoming harder to get into now and peds fellowships from what I'ves seen were somewhat 'easy' to get into. I'm assuming they are becoming harder since A)most anesthesiologists are afraid of kids B)they get paid pretty good

thoughts?

I ask this only because it seems that pain fellowships are becoming harder to get into now and peds fellowships from what I'ves seen were somewhat 'easy' to get into. I'm assuming they are becoming harder since A)most anesthesiologists are afraid of kids B)they get paid pretty good

thoughts?

thoughts?

Don't know how hard they are to get into but I think you're right about a lot of anesthesiologists being afraid of kids (sick kids is more appropriate).

I hear mixed things about the pay. some say you may get more, some say less. Some say job security is better. not sure about this yet.

Be sure and check out Arkansas Children's Hosp / Univ of Arkansas peds anesth fellowship. Can't say too much about their gas residency, but their peds gas program is awesome. Last I heard, they were also developing a pediatric cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship there too.

Know of any other programs that have specifically pediatric cardiothoracic fellowships? It's early in my training, but this is the direction I think I am headed. Is it still 1 yr for peds then 1 yr for peds ct? We have a doc here who does exclusively peds ct and his training was 1+1 fellowships.

Know of any other programs that have specifically pediatric cardiothoracic fellowships? It's early in my training, but this is the direction I think I am headed. Is it still 1 yr for peds then 1 yr for peds ct? We have a doc here who does exclusively peds ct and his training was 1+1 fellowships.

DO a combined 18 months Critical Care and Cardiac Fellowship at a place that will let you emphasize PEDS. You will be the "man" or the "woman" when you finish. MGH offers such a program.

Do you think combined CT and CC will still be possible after CT becomes accredited? It used to be possible in 18 mo. because CT was not accredited, but now you won't be able to fulfill the requirements for CT and CC in 18 mo. Porbably now they'll ask you to do 24 mo.

DO a combined 18 months Critical Care and Cardiac Fellowship at a place that will let you emphasize PEDS. You will be the "man" or the "woman" when you finish. MGH offers such a program.

That sounds like an interesting program but I'd like to make sure I see enough peds to be "the man" for peds CT when i'm done, not "the guy who did the combined fellowship but managed to see a good amount of peds".

That sounds like an interesting program but I'd like to make sure I see enough peds to be "the man" for peds CT when i'm done, not "the guy who did the combined fellowship but managed to see a good amount of peds".

Fine. Do 6 months of Peds and 12 months of Cardiac with an emphasis on Peds. Hearts. There are many programs that will work with you for your goals. This will make you a Peds and Cardiac attending.

FYI, UT Southwestern (the institution, not the SDN 'master') is advertising their pedi fellowship as a 'job listing.' What do you think that means?

Bottom line, my impression is that if you want to do a pedi fellowship, most of your attendings will be amazed, and you will easily get a position. You might also get to even PICK where you want to do it. I think the same goes for anesthesia CCM.

I personally am not fond of pedi anesthesiology. I definitely don't want to be responsible EVERYDAY for those blue babies and airway nightmare kiddies.
I am glad someone loves it.

Here is a caveat, if you like healthy outpatient pediatrics don't do peds, finish just a regular residency. If you want to get all the sickies everyday filtered down to you, do a pedi fellowship!

What about colorado, seattle, and chicago programs? anybody?

There are 2 peds programs in chicago, NW (children's memorial) and U of C. U of C's is new and we're not yet recruiting applicants due to some changes in surgical personnel (no peds cardiac at the moment). What I've been told by our residents that have interviewed around is that NW is a great program but that in their peds cardiac, the surgeons do all the lines, thereby limiting your experience.

The program at WashU/St. Louis Children's Hospital is excellent, particularly if you are interested in cardiothoracic cases.

If you look at peds fellowships on Freida, many of the programs claim that you work 40 or 45 hours a week. Others are 30, 50, 55, 60; but anyway, what's going on with the low hours? Are they accurate? 60 I get but 30 or 40? Are they low to allow you to moonlight in addition and make a more decent salary? Can someone explain this.

You have to include Pitt as one of the top peds anesthesia fellowship programs in the country. The attendings there not only wrote some of the classic texts for peds anesthesia, but they remain on the cutting edge when it comes to perioperative management of some of the most difficult cases. In addition, the fellowship is the first-ever to have been established in the country.

In the pediatric world, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh is world-renowned by pediatricians for its pediatric transplants, ENT expertise, and PICU care, among other non-surgical specialties. We all have to admit that every program out there is second to CHOP and Boston Children's. However, a few programs can be considered "little brothers" to these fine institutions, and these would be Pitt, Cincy, JHU (and maybe to a lesser extent--Seattle, Children's National in DC, UCSF, UCLA, McGaw, Medical College of Wisconsin). Another crude measure of a good peds program is if they have their own free-standing children's hospital.

My humble opinion...

You have to include Pitt as one of the top peds anesthesia fellowship programs in the country. The attendings there not only wrote some of the classic texts for peds anesthesia, but they remain on the cutting edge when it comes to perioperative management of some of the most difficult cases. In addition, the fellowship is the first-ever to have been established in the country.

In the pediatric world, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh is world-renowned by pediatricians for its pediatric transplants, ENT expertise, and PICU care, among other non-surgical specialties. We all have to admit that every program out there is second to CHOP and Boston Children's. However, a few programs can be considered "little brothers" to these fine institutions, and these would be Pitt, Cincy, JHU (and maybe to a lesser extent--Seattle, Children's National in DC, UCSF, UCLA, McGaw, Medical College of Wisconsin). Another crude measure of a good peds program is if they have their own free-standing children's hospital.

My humble opinion...

Agreed. When I as interviewing at JHU, asked where their residents were going for fellowship. Peds folks went to Pitt. Should be a clue. :)