Peds heavy FM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windjammerette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm brand new to SDN, so I apologize if this question has been asked already. I did a quick search and didn't find anything that matched exactly what I was looking for, so here goes:

Can any of you recommend a Family Medicine program that is fairly peds heavy - both inpatient and outpatient? I've done some research and found places that lean heavily towards OB, which is fine, but I'd rather have more peds months if I have to have more of anything. The average I've seen is about 3-4 months of dedicated "peds" time overall, so I was just curious if any place does more than that in their core curriculum. I know you can always choose more peds electives later.

Also, I'd preferably like to stay in the South / Southeast part of the country, but recommendations from anywhere would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

(And yes, I know med/peds programs exist if I want a ton more peds, but that's just a bit *too*much inpatient all-the-time for me. Thanks for thinking about that though! :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Tacoma, WA. Opposite end of the country from where you're looking, but I *think* they are the only FM program in the country that has their own attached children's hospital where they are the only residents. I don't know how many months they do, but they are super strong in Peds.

OP do you mind if I sort of hijack your thread? I was coming to make my own thread but I believe this falls in line:

Can anyone speak on the differences in training in a program that does their pediatric rotations at a children's hospital (with peds residents) vs a medical center that offers full pediatric services but is not a stand alone children's hospital (for example dch medical center in Tuscaloosa). I'm not even exactly sure what the difference is..?

I'd never really considered this but my sis, who is a pediatrician just mentioned that I should go to a program that rotates at a stand alone children's hospital so that I can be adequately trained....but she's a pediatrician so of course she would say that.

Any thoughts on both sides?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, VenturaResident. I never would have looked as far away as Tacoma!

And no, daniellef07, I don't mind at all! That's an interesting question.

OP do you mind if I sort of hijack your thread? I was coming to make my own thread but I believe this falls in line:

Can anyone speak on the differences in training in a program that does their pediatric rotations at a children's hospital (with peds residents) vs a medical center that offers full pediatric services but is not a stand alone children's hospital (for example dch medical center in Tuscaloosa). I'm not even exactly sure what the difference is..?

I'd never really considered this but my sis, who is a pediatrician just mentioned that I should go to a program that rotates at a stand alone children's hospital so that I can be adequately trained....but she's a pediatrician so of course she would say that.

Any thoughts on both sides?
I did med school at a large academic center and residency at an unopposed program... not exactly the same as doing a residency at an academic shop, but kinda close.

The big peds referral center hospitals deal with all kinds of crazy and rare pathology. As a 3rd year, I watched the FM intern on peds take care of DiGeorge's, SCID, OI, lots of sickle cell/syndromes, with a smattering of normal stuff. Contrast that with my residency where it was almost all asthma, bronchiolitis, fever r/o sepsis, failure to thrive - bread and butter peds stuff.

Now honestly ask yourself, which of those is more valuable to a family doctor? Seeing the super rare stuff is pretty cool, but pretty low yield. The bread and butter, while not terribly exciting, is stuff you will see regularly.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi windjammerette,
I’m currently a 4th yr med student applying into FM programs in the southeast part of the country. I love peds and OB and geriatrics and procedures. I want a full scope practice. I saw this post from several years ago and wonder which programs you loved and ultimately ended up matching.

I would say look into strong unopposed programs in cities large enough to support a decent peds volume.

Standouts on the interview trail for me were: Tacoma (Multicare), Boise, Spokane, Anchorage