peds- heme/onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any information on peds- heme/onc? Best programs, job prospects, pay, hours, amount of research done, difficulty of matching? Im interested in academic medicine as a peds-heme/onc.

Thanks in advance!

Gleevec

Members don't see this ad.

I worked for a peds hem/onc clinic at OHSU and know a little. Specifically, the peds hem/onc program is a fellowship that last three years. It completed after a pedicatric residency and the pay is only slightly better. I beleive we had about a hundred applications one year (the only year I heard about) and generally accept two fellow (I'm not positive, but it is definetely not more than three). The are a phase 1 research institution, one way you can make a superficial judgement about a program, there are only something like twenty phase 1 institutions. The work hours are variable. In your first year you spend much more time in the inpatient unit and outpatient clinic. Toward the end you spend much more time devoted to research. Regardless, in my personal opinion, their hours are not to terribly difficult. Keep in mind the low pay, less than 50 grand a year most likely. I know University of Washington also has a good program. I don't think hem/onc fellowships are part of the AAMC operated match program. It's considered post graduate but you don't get a PHd.

You can't beat New York Hospital/Weill Cornell. They're the best in the business in this area.