Peds or OBGYN or EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmimi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
which specialty has a more flexible schedule and most importantly gives you a balance lifestyle so you can be able to have children and a family?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a very hard time picking speciality as well. I think you need to understand why you like aspects of a field and whether you see the aspects of the practitioners of each specialty within yourself. All of the above fields will allow you to have a family and be a good spouse and parent if that's what you want to do.

Even within a specialty, your schedule will be different. General pediatrics without inpatient contract would mean you would work 8-5 hours in a clinic and while you would still have to worry about office/staff expenses, deal with insurance and paperwork, and your charting, you would have a set schedule like most other people where you go home at reasonable hours. Or you could be a NICU/PICU staff where you have very long and hard days.

Emergency medicine is also better total number of hours, but you work different shifts including nights for the rest of your career and your workdays are very hard work.

Ob/Gyn is also more similar to emergency medicine. You will be in clinic 3-4 days. If you are a general ob/gyn, you may have a delivery a couple of times a week along with your regular clinic and 1-1.5 days of OR/week. you will also have to take call for the rest of your career. You must realize that you have to like being in an OR within the field. That being said, OB/GYN is a reasonable job as long as you have an understanding partner or you work within an educational facility with many other colleagues to share your call pool.

The other aspect of it is where you see yourself in 10-15 years after residency. Only pediatrics will allow you to hang your shingle somewhere alone. You will be tied to a hospital with EM and OBG.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you
I had a very hard time picking speciality as well. I think you need to understand why you like aspects of a field and whether you see the aspects of the practitioners of each specialty within yourself. All of the above fields will allow you to have a family and be a good spouse and parent if that's what you want to do.

Even within a specialty, your schedule will be different. General pediatrics without inpatient contract would mean you would work 8-5 hours in a clinic and while you would still have to worry about office/staff expenses, deal with insurance and paperwork, and your charting, you would have a set schedule like most other people where you go home at reasonable hours. Or you could be a NICU/PICU staff where you have very long and hard days.

Emergency medicine is also better total number of hours, but you work different shifts including nights for the rest of your career and your workdays are very hard work.

Ob/Gyn is also more similar to emergency medicine. You will be in clinic 3-4 days. If you are a general ob/gyn, you may have a delivery a couple of times a week along with your regular clinic and 1-1.5 days of OR/week. you will also have to take call for the rest of your career. You must realize that you have to like being in an OR within the field. That being said, OB/GYN is a reasonable job as long as you have an understanding partner or you work within an educational facility with many other colleagues to share your call pool.

The other aspect of it is where you see yourself in 10-15 years after residency. Only pediatrics will allow you to hang your shingle somewhere alone. You will be tied to a hospital with EM and OBG.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, THIS HELPED ME A LOT WITH PICKING A SPECIALTY

WHAT SPECIALTY DID YOU END UP PICKING ?

Reactions: 1 user