Peds Q&A books for the Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Search isn't working for me and the sticky post links are bad... so just a quick question: What Q&A books for peds that are on par with with shelf did you guys like?

I just finished IM and found that doing MKSAP2 and PreTest really helped for the shelf - are there any analagous books that are on target for peds - I hear the test is a bear. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked PreTest :)

I did the Peds tests in Kaplan Qbook for Step 2. There were several Peds tests in the book. From my experience, Kaplan's questions are very similar to the Shelf and Step 2 Questions. Pre-test tends to have many questions that are too short, and Appleton and Lange sometimes dwells on the dumbest details that aren't important.

Members don't see this ad :)
PreTest and Bluprints Q&A covered most of it very well for me. Read ID, neuro, and fluids chapters of Blueprints. Had excellent lectures and didactics on my rotation which covered a lot of what was on the test.

I would say 80% of the test is "what is the diagnosis" of VERY common peds diseases. But you have to know some of everything. Don't focus just on immunizations (maybe 3 Q's) or RSV (maybe 2 Q's)...know your enzyme deficiencies and your congenital heart defects cold (lots of heart Q's).

Not a single Q on asthma classification or tx!! WTF?!

Don't forget birth defects and issues in pregnancy.

Good luck.

Pinki said:
Search isn't working for me and the sticky post links are bad... so just a quick question: What Q&A books for peds that are on par with with shelf did you guys like?

I just finished IM and found that doing MKSAP2 and PreTest really helped for the shelf - are there any analagous books that are on target for peds - I hear the test is a bear. TIA!

Blueprints Q&A was great and I really like the Appleton and Lange Review of Peds (question book only) as well.